No drain cock

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to drain down my heating system but there is no drain cock on any of the radiators and I cannot find one on any of the pipes. I have a combi boiler. Can anyone suggest another method of draining down? Thanks in advance. Bill.

Sponsored Links
There is no secret method. Either you'll have to cut into a pipe somewhere, drain down and fit a drain cock when the system is empty, or shut off a rad, empty it, pull away one of the valves, fit a 1/2" hose connector on the end, open the valve and drain down that way.

Self Cutting D.O.C. :idea: .................Then remove on completion of work and "T" in a type A ,D.O.C.:cool: :cool:

After draining via a rad. valve, as suggested by electronicsuk, swap a convenient lockshield valve for one incorporating a drain.
p1050790_l.jpg

Sponsored Links
turn off both valves at one rad on the ground floor
disconnect rad and then use the wv to drain
when system is drained add a drain off point below both the valves
this will then allow you to drain the system easily or if you wanted you could use these points to do a mains flush of the whole system
if you haven't had your system cleaned now would be the time to do it
after cleaning add an inhibitor and pressurise the system to about 1.5 bar
you could use fernox f3 or f5 depending how dirty it was
also fernox do a tf1 which is twin tech filter for catching magnetic and non-magnetic particles in the heating system
it is much the same as a magna clean but half the price and does just as good a job
if you site this product below the lowest point this also acts as a drain off but also a port for adding chemicals such as fernox

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back