Drain Cock types for central heating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

I am putting together a list of parts that I will need to extend my central heating system (15mm) to my extension.
In screwfix, I have seen two types of drain cock.

Drain Cock 15mm Type B Light Pattern
Drain Cock Type A Heavy Pattern Glanded

Would anyone be able to explain the difference to me?
I was planning to have a drain at the bottom of each radiator.

many thanks in advance,
Alex.

Sponsored Links
I use these valves with a built in drain off.
p1050790_l.jpg

Thanks for the info. I'm going to buy those :D

My radiators from Screwfix came with valves, however I discovered last week that they seem to have disapeared with the plumber following 1st fix pipe fitting :confused: I can't prove anything as the extension was a mess at the time and could have been mixed.
Then the pipework leaked and they had to come back. (I want to finish the job myself as I am confident in soldering now and have lost trust with them)
your solution will fix both problems.

Thanks for your help, I love this Forum.

Alex.

Sponsored Links
If you buy type A don't get Midbras. Their latest ones that I have had do not have the 'O' ring on the end, so I took them all back and demanded the Eagle make that come with them ;)

Even the better type are rubbish unless you buy a good make, then they're still unreliable.

The rad valve drainoffs are rather slow - no good for flushing through.

Unless you can use use these (excellent but a bit ugly)
http://www.bes.co.uk/ item 13180
13180.gif

you might like to do it this way. A pipe goes from the second rad valve to outside, say through an air brick. The drain valve has a lockshield cap on it, natch.
Radvalvedrainoff.gif

I recently used one of these in the pipe coming up from the floor to a radiator beside an external door. You can screw a washing-machine hose on the outlet when you need to drain,or a fitting for a garden hose (it is 3/4" BSP). I thought it best to put a Blank Nut over the open end just in case...

Because it so big it gives a much quicker drain and better flushing flow for a dirty system than the rad valves with drain-off (but I normally use them as my own syst is so clean)

p1061639_l.jpg

Except the O ball seatings and the spindle O ring can't take the heat so will eventually leak. :rolleyes:

Type A MT cock has a gland as stated above & will not leak when draining the system. Type B have no gland, so the water pizzes all over your shag pile!!........... ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back