Fitting a drain cock

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Im plumbing in a radiator in the kitchen (it gets very cold in there!) at the moment, and will be doing this work asap.

I have to change a few other rads, but not at the same time because i need to take the floors up etc.

So, i thought i'd fit a drain cock in the kitchen as its the furthest from the boiler. Do i fit it on the flow, return or both?

I want a end feed cock, is this the right one?

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/17843/Plumbing/Brassware/Drain-Cock-Type-Heavy-Pattern-Glanded

Sponsored Links
Kybert,

It normally would go on the return.

Why makes things more complicated than the need to be.

Fit one of these.

Rico

Flow or return. Whatever happens to be the lowest point.
Dont forget to take the innards out of the DOV before you solder it so you dont damage the rubber bits

thanks for the super quick reply. I'll take a look for the all in one, and if not, remember to gut the valve before soldering!

thanks!

Sponsored Links
Just to clarify:
Fitting on the return is the convention because traditionally the return was always the lowest pipe before pumped systems.
Fitting at lowest point is best practice and sometimes the lowest point can be the flow.
Considering most only want to drain off a system without always working on the lowest parts of it. The combined DOV and rad valve will do the job just as well in the majority of cases.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back