Fitting outside draincock for central heating system

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm about to have Karndean fitted throughout the downstairs of our house. Problem is, I have a (combi) central heating system draincock under the floorboards with a pipe that leads outside. This has proved really useful on several occassions but with the new floor access to the draincock will not be possible.

I'm planning to install a draincock outside. Would this http://www.screwfix.com/prods/17843/Plumbing/Brassware/Drain-Cock-Type-Heavy-Pattern-Glanded be ok to use or should I be using something else? Also, can brass fittings like this be soldered and connected via a pre-soldered coupling? I need to avoid compression fittings if at all possible so that the tap doesn't stick out of the wall too far.

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
Dismantle it before soldering, or the washer won't be a lot of good afterwards.

....... Guess who got that one wrong once ..... :oops:

Sponsored Links
I'm planning to install a draincock outside.

It will freeze.

Get them to fit access covers overanything in the floor void you nedd to get to, or re-locate the drain cock under a mat-well inside the front door.

thanks for your responses so far.

The access point was my first option but it'll be right in the middle of the walkthrough, not ideal.

Bearing in mind that this is a central heating system I expect the likelihood of freezing to be pretty low anyway so am tempted to go ahead with the outside option (unless the overall concensus of opinion is that this is a bad idea!?). I could always fit a lagged box around it.

One more thing ... anyone got any tips on how best to identify this as a central heating drain? I wouldn't want the next owner of the house watering their flowers with the sludge from the system :LOL:

I've never known one freeze, but then I live in the Sahf.
Put one on both sides of the CH system (flow and return), it can be V useful. WHat I have done is use plastic pipe to supply the drain cocks, then you can push then back a bit into a hole in the wall and pull them forwards for use. If you use a compression fitting to join the DC to the plastic pipe, you can remove the DC for fast flushing if the system ever needs it.

How many have you seen freezing then bursting??

Doesn't water form ice at 0 degC anymore?

it does at 32 degF

happy-127.gif

Wierd weather you have there. I have worked up in sweaty-sock land and all insrstallations have a drain cock for CH and for DHW cylinders external. Bloody fantastic.
And it if cooooold up there.
They also have the vent for cylinders out onto the roof = no dead kids in bedrooms...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back