Seized up stop cock in loft

Sponsored Links
Undo the gland nut and apply some WD40, then turn handle both ways to loosen the scale internally to release the stopcock.

Andy

will loosening the gland nut cause it to leak? if so, turn off the supply first! if not, ignore me

if you're brave enough you can apply heat with a blow torch, that usually works, be REALLY careful though

Sponsored Links
Turn the water off @ the incoming main - undo the comp. nuts on the roof stopcock - remove and bin it , fit another one :idea: Spend that £3.50 ;)

chances are the old gate valve in the loft ( depending on age ) the union nuts will have a different thread to any new one so you will have to remove the old nuts and olives, make sure if you fit a new valve buy a Pegler gate valve

I wouldn't fit a gate valve on a cold main. Be better if you used a ballofix or stop cock.

sorry yes i'd agree, forgot it was rising main, not baal-o-fix though

A ballofix should be ok for a local means of isolation imho. Although I prefer lever valves.

Undo the gland nut and apply some WD40, then turn handle both ways to loosen the scale internally to release the stopcock.

Andy

I presume the gland nut is the uppermost nut (see pic).
I'll try this, but I'm terrified of breaking a joint in the pipework if I use too much pressure.
Stopcock is soldered in. Replacing it would mean getting the hacksaw out.
View media item 30195

So you reckon the joint will take it if I just go at it with a wrench?

Hold the body of the stop cock with a pair of grips, then undo the gland nut with an adjustable spanner. Then the handle should be able to be turned.

Andy

Top tip - have an alternative ready to fit, especially at this time on a Sunday afternoon. No good realising you need a bit, only to find Q&B is shut!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back