How do you drain the radiators when you have a combi

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a VAILLANT VCW GB 242 EH Combi boiler with inverted loop radiators downstairs.

I want to put thermostatic valves on every radiator and move one radiator to a different wall downstairs. I will need to drain the system but as it is closed at around 1.5bar? how do I drain and refill?

Sponsored Links
doesn't matter whether it s COMBI or other, somewhere in the house will be one rad (down stairs) with a drain cock on it. its usually near the front or back door.

attach hose to spigot, undo square nut with a multi key / spanner and drain to outside of house.

this will in theory release all water above this point, though there will undoubtedly be a few spots around the system with little pockets left.

when you have changed the valves (buy good ones!) refill using the filling loop (stainless steel braided hose) under the combi boiler which has check valves at either end (both need undoing). close valves when pressure gauge reaches 1.5 bar. you'll need to leave at least one rad bleed valve upstairs open while you do it to allow air to escape

good luck!

geordey said:
I want to put thermostatic valves on every radiator
you should not do that, you must leave at least one rad with no trv to act as a bypass, most commonly it is bathroom rad

BentheBoatie said:
doesn't matter whether it s COMBI or other, somewhere in the house will be one rad (down stairs) with a drain cock on it. its usually near the front or back door.

That might be the case on your planet but here on earth it's not always like that. :confused:

Sponsored Links
Thanks BentheBoatie,

Found the drain points and turned off the feed to the heating (leaving water supply intact). Drained using garden hose.

Your advice V useful and job done without spillage.

I realised I have an extra expansion tank to play with and was able to refill and pressurise the system to 1.5 bar afterwards.

Thanks again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back