Boiler Driving Me Crazy!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Glow-worm SPACE SAVER Mk II Series Balanced Flue Boiler, I have been in the house for 12 months and believe the system is very old, possibly >15 years.

Problems I have are:
* the pilot light blows out lots, even with the slightest wind outside
* the ignition switch does not ignite the pilot light meaning I have to remove the outer casing and ignite the pilot manually.

I've done some research today and I think it might be a faulty thermocouple so I'm considering replacing it tomorrow.

But I also found out that a sign of problems are orange/yellow flames. My pilot light is mainly blue, but does have a little bit of yellow edges, is this ok? And when the main boiler fires up, by looking through the inspection window it appears that all of the big flames are just yellow, no blue flame what-so-ever. This makes me quite worried, because from what I've read it says that there could be a problem with carbon monoxide! I do have a carbon monoxide detector (orange thing that turns black if detected) but that seems to read ok.

Can anyone advise me the best approach? I'm thinking its time to take the plunge and buy a new condensing combi boiler?

Many thanks for any advice or comments...

Yours worryingly,

Paul

Sponsored Links
paulmcnally said:
Can anyone advise me the best approach?

Yes, get a Corgi bloke in!

You need to weigh up whether you want to spend money on repairing an old boiler or do you want to get a new one. :D

Are you sure the casing is properly sealed? If it wasn't, draughts would tend to blow out pilot, downdraught might cause the main flames to burn yellow and carbon monoxide could escape into the room. A potentially dangerous situation, as you appear to appreciate.

Under the circumstances, I would have to say do not use the boiler until it has been checked by a Registered Gas installer. You will perhaps also appreciate that you yourself should not be opening up the casing of the boiler and interfering with safety devices like thermocouples. You may think you are competent to do this, but how do you know?

It may be that the boiler is basically sound but just needs some minor repairs or adjustments, but only a RGI can make that assessment. Better to be cold and alive than dead from CO poisoning.

Sponsored Links
your boiler needs a fifty quid service and will last you for years get it done and don`t worry about changing it

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back