Boiler Electrics

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm in the process of getting the wall replastered and having a new boiler fitted in my cloakroom.

I have a quick query about where the 3A double pole switch, programmer and wiring centre are usually fitted. Are there any regulations that cover this, or can I put them where I like (eg Directly above/below the boiler)?

I'd like to run the conduit before the plumber gets here :)

Thanks for your time.

Shivers

Sponsored Links
In relation to the boiler, you can fit it where ever is convenient and easily accessable.

provided it is near the boiler. "They" told me it was maximum 3 metres but been able find that in any regs

provided it is near the boiler. "They" told me it was maximum 3 metres but been able find that in any regs
the isolation should be near the boiler,, as for any other bits and bobs,, try not to place them underneath any pipework or boiler, just in case you have a leak,, youd be asking for trouble lol

Sponsored Links
the isolation should be near the boiler,, as for any other bits and bobs,, try not to place them underneath any pipework or boiler, just in case you have a leak,, you'd be asking for trouble lol
That was my thought too (water and electricity do not mix) and I guess that everything would have to be within 3m, especially when you consider that the three way valve only comes with a 1m lead...

The cloakroom is quite small, with the boiler mounted above the loo and basin. I'm thinking that the isolator and programmer should be within easy reach (but outside zone 2), while the wiring centre should be mounted above the boiler, near the pump and three way valve.

zone 2 in a cloakroom???
Sorry, I realise that strictly speaking, zoning only applies to bathrooms but common sense would dictate that you don't want the isolator reachable from the basin. Is there no regulation that affects this? At the moment, the isolator is hanging in the breeze as the plasterer removed the old render and the cable is long enough to reach wherever we choose.

zone 2 in a cloakroom???
Sorry, I realise that strictly speaking, zoning only applies to bathrooms but common sense would dictate that you don't want the isolator reachable from the basin.

each to his own, but i never sit stark naked and soaking wet in my basin.

to answer your question: no, there is no such provision, nor is there and need for it.

if you want to know exactly where you can put sockets/switches in relation to a basin, look at snag 8 in part 2 of the snag and solutions series from the nic

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back