Boiler Failuer - Urgent advice Needed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all. I have a 2 year old Worcester Bosch Greenstart 35CDi.

This morning, the heating stopped working and the boiler had an EA error on the display. After resetting, when the heating tries to come on, the boiler vibrates heavily and then errors. If the heating is not on, the hot water works ok.

I've checked the condensate pipe as best I can. I have dug it out and it's not frozen (was some water sitting in the horizontal part). I've held a hot water bottle against the condensate pipe from the inside (the boiler is 2 floors up so no access to the external top bit of pipe). made no difference.

I have a Worcester Bosch maintenance contract and they will be out tomorrow, however, I'm worried my pipes will freeze overnight. They said that the boiler would be gurgling if the condensate pipe was fronzen, and because it was vibrating (like a very stiff heavy door) and not gurgling it was likely to be the pump.

I have called round all the local companies and no-one can come out today and even if they could they don't carry parts so I'm as well waiting on Worcester coming out tomorrow.

Is there anything I can do to help the pipes not freeze, or if they do, what should I do? I think all the pipes under the floor (raised wooden floor) are lagged, but I imagine there'll be the odd exposed corner.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Make sure you know where your cold water turns off and if your in a house open the loft hatch and also get some electric heaters and keep them on all night if need be.

Makes sense. Will go out now and buy some more heaters.

Should I open up the floor as well? There are 2 hatches in the ground floor. Or would this simply bring cold air into the house and not heat up under the floor?

Makes sense. Will go out now and buy some more heaters.

Should I open up the floor as well? There are 2 hatches in the ground floor. Or would this simply bring cold air into the house and not heat up under the floor?

No, don't open up the floor but try to ensure any holes round about pipes/cables etc are temporarily blocked up.

Sponsored Links
3 x 2kw heaters on in varying rooms with loft hatch open.

Considering turning off water at mains in case there is a burst overnight but imagine that's probably a waste of time as the burst won't appear until after the water thaws.

What a pain in the tits.

3 x 2kw heaters on in varying rooms with loft hatch open.

Considering turning off water at mains in case there is a burst overnight but imagine that's probably a waste of time as the burst won't appear until after the water thaws.

What a pain in the ****.

Well your probably correct, weather forecast for your area over night is minus 15 but I would still turn it off when you go to bed 'just in case'.

Best of luck.

Tony

All sorted. Was actually a frozen condensate pipe. Would seem it was frozen further up than I could check.

Currently condensating into a bucket. I've cleared the pipe and lagged it so it shouldn't be an issue again.

All warm :)

Thanks for the advice yesterday.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back