Worcester Greenstar 37 CDi stopped working; gurgling noise

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey, would be very grateful for some urgent help with my boiler. About a fortnight ago the boiler stopped working; there was an error code that I do not recall. The water pressure had dropped into the red zone (just below 1). There was no obvious leak. So I repressurised it to about 1.5, reset it and the boiler started working. Everything was fine. But yesterday it stopped again. No drop in water pressure this time; the error code is EA. Tried resetting, it restarted and the hot water returned. Couple of minutes later it stalled again. Rang Worcester Bosch (boiler still in warranty), they said that the condensation pipe may have frozen. Checked the pipe - there indeed was some ice at the end, defrosted it by pouring hot water. Restarted the boiler and it seemed to work. We had to go somewhere and only came back today. The same error code, EA, is flashing again. No ice on the condensation pipe today. Boiler now makes a lot of gurgling noise on resetting. Initially the flame came on but now even that has stopped. Seems like there is air in the boiler. Checked an upstairs radiator but there is no air in that. Point is, why is there air in the boiler but no air in the upstairs radiator? How do I let the air out? How do I prevent it from reccuring? I tried looking for the "drain valve" but can't identify any. There is a metal pipe that goes outside (and is open ended) but there is no regulating valve on it. The picture of the underside of the boiler is here
. Any help will be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
That looks suspiciously like a diy job.
Just about impossible that there is a correct and verified benchmark sheet for this one.
If the boiler is under warrantee, why don't you call wb to fix it?

Sponsored Links
Other side of heat exchanger..... damp electrodes etc.

Can I be the last to ask again, was it professionally installed?

C'mon Simon, with those gatevalves, the soldering, the pointless earthwires, the electrical connection, and without a roomstat?

There will be at least 3 others who will ask the same question.

C'mon Simon, with those gatevalves, the soldering, the pointless earthwires, the electrical connection, and without a roomstat?

There will be at least 3 others who will ask the same question.

the compression sockets, the unnessecary ballofix, the wonky pipes, lack of pipeclips etc etc. Why buy a top branded high performance combi and fit it so shabbily? Bet the system is dirtier than Abi Titmuss too.

Because if you buy a boiler off fleebay, and cowboy it on the wall, you save a lot of money.
surely, you are not going to pay some rip-off plumber a thousand quid to hang around and drink your tea for several days if you can do the job in half a day with the help of your mate who knows all about these things because his dad has been a builder all his life.
people aren't stupid you know.
:rolleyes:

Because if you buy a boiler off fleebay, and cowboy it on the wall, you save a lot of money.
surely, you are not going to pay some rip-off plumber a thousand quid to hang around and drink your tea for several days if you can do the job in half a day with the help of your mate who knows all about these things because his dad has been a builder all his life.
people aren't stupid you know.
:rolleyes:

you will save money until the warranty is void as no benchmark filled in, the plate blocks up, the gas supply is undersized so you never really attain it's full performance and it's not at optimum efficency as it was never comissioned properly in the first place. Is this "mate" called bigburner?

you will save money until the warranty is void as no benchmark filled in, the plate blocks up, the gas supply is undersized so you never really attain it's full performance and it's not at optimum efficency as it was never comissioned properly in the first place. Is this "mate" called bigburner?

Unlikely.
Doubt that bigbullshit has any mates.
Apart from that, we know he has never ever in his life fitted a 37 cdi.

judging by mr. g's last post, he does not really want to admit there was no RGI involved in this job, or that the job is less than perfect for that matter.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back