Worcester 28cdi Greenstar Compact

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning all,

Have got the above boiler, yesterday it absolutely lashed it down and water got into flue and subsequently came through the boiler. Boiler stopped and displayed Error Code FO 238. I spoke to Worcester Tech and they advised resetting boiler which I did, it fired up and we had heating and hot water, later that day it stopped and displayed EA 227 "I think" something to do with Gas supply and then reverted to FO238

We have a Gas Hob and the supply to that is fine.

Struggling to get a plumber, but will percevere, there is absolutely no chance that I'm going to touch it "Chippy not Heating Engineer" but just wondering if any heating engineer on here has had any experience of this fault on this type of boiler so I can better understand the thing??

Regards Chirpy.

Sponsored Links
You can try a hairdryer on it but this may mean accessing areas of the boiler that you shouldn't be accessing.

Whatever you do, you will need someone out to you anyway to assess the flue and suggest how changes can be made to avoid a repeat of the water ingress.

Can Worcester get someone out to you on a fixed price repair?

We've just had a plumber look at the boiler and he has worked out that the Gas Valve isn't receiving enough electrical charge to make it work, the lack of wiring diagrams of in the manual had left him stumped...

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
Sponsored Links
Guarantee :LOL::LOL::LOL:

Yes it is still within warranty, but despite the flue angling upwards 52cm in a metre and it being fitted correctly, they don't cover for water ingress from rain. This wasn't any old rain this was sheet rain for 20 minutes. I wonder what they honestly expect with a flue angled upwards. Going to complain.

It was the gas valve in the end £120 for valve tried to give my mate £150 for his time but would only accept £80. So not to shabby outcome really.

Incidentally, you can't buy the PCB separately you have to buy the whole control unit £380 + FFS....

but despite the flue angling upwards 52cm in a metre
is it just a standard horizontal flue without any extensions ? if so that is your problem if it is a standard flue with no extensions the flue is cored level as the internal flue has an inbuilt 3 degree, fall back to the boiler, it cant possibly be 52CM in a Metre can it

Sorry 52mm in a meter :D

Attachments

• IMG_20191224_102355.jpg
    IMG_20191224_102355.jpg
    187 KB · Views: 278
  • IMG_20191224_102355.jpg
    IMG_20191224_102355.jpg
    187 KB · Views: 287
Yeh so this is my Beef, if a pipe is inverted backwards then during an extremely heavy rain shower any water that gets in will run backwards into the boiler...

Yeh so this is my Beef, if a pipe is inverted backwards then during an extremely heavy rain shower any water that gets in will run backwards into the boiler...
You have answered your own question with those pics , look at the top of the page on them, that is for EXTENDED flue applications, your is not extended and should be level as the inner flue already has a built in 3 degree fall

Attachments

• worc flue.png
    worc flue.png
    437.8 KB · Views: 319
Thanks for the information Ianmcd and for pointing out I was reading the installation incorrectly. It transpires on checking the flue with a boat level that it is actually level if not a couple of mm downwards.

This does take me back to my original argument though, the inner flue gas a 3 degree fall for condense, therefore, in this instance the rain that has found its way in will go into the boiler. Just seems illogical to me and not really a premise to refuse a warranty claim.

Attachments

• IMG_20191224_165108.jpg
    IMG_20191224_165108.jpg
    138.5 KB · Views: 238
Thanks for the information Ianmcd and for pointing out I was reading the installation incorrectly. It transpires on checking the flue with a boat level that it is actually level if not a couple of mm downwards.

This does take me back to my original argument though, the inner flue gas a 3 degree fall for condense, therefore, in this instance the rain that has found its way in will go into the boiler. Just seems illogical to me and not really a premise to refuse a warranty claim.
I agree and different manus have different conditions, must admit I have never heard of that from Worcester to be honest, they make a big deal of saying that theirs isnt a warantee, but a guarantee, so if the flue is indeed level I would pursue it, out of interest does your condensate pipe run outside into a rain water down pipe ?

Did water ingress really kill the gas valve or just coincidence?
Was the combustion chamber actually flooded?

Those Sit valves are pretty reliable and AFAIR operate at 24Vdc and it's raised above the base of the chamber so should be protected from flooding.

Not convinced by your "plumber"...the diagrams tell you all you need to know.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back