Worcester 28CDi Compact - what penalty for downsizing?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I am planning my new kitchen and attention has turned to the boiler. I have a huge Worcester Heatstore 9-24 from ~1987. It is very reliable but taking up valuable space in a small kitchen, so is going to be replaced.

I am keen to stick with a Worcester but considering which model to replace with. The property is a 2-bed flat, 1 bath, 50m2 floor area (though I do plan to switch to electric underfloor heating for kitchen and bathroom, in order to make wall space by removing the rads, so that reduces the floor area heated by the boiler by around 10m2). I only plan to stay in the property myself for another year or two, but will let it after that, so long-term reliability is a big factor.

The Worcester website suggests for me either the Greenstar 24i Junior, the Greenstar 25Si, or the Greenstar 28CDi Compact. I can't distinguish much difference between the first two except a marginally improved flow rate for the 25Si, but the 28CDi Compact is much smaller and has further improved flow rate. I am keen on fitting the boiler into a standard depth wall unit, to blend into the integrated kitchen, but wouldn't want to do this at the expense of reliability and ease of servicing.

My question therefore is; what penalty is there on the downsizing of the 28CDi compact, particularly with regard to reliability and ease of servicing?

Cheers,

Jamp

Sponsored Links
If your boiler is a storage combi then it will give perhaps 15 litres per minute ( for a short while ) whereas the 28i will only give 11 li/min.

Probably little difference.

Tony

The cdi compact is the only worcester combi that will fit in a standard depth cupboard. I have fitted five know and really like them. Very good quality and all the whistles and bells. Worcester still don't know what to do with the si and I junior range of boilers. My guess is rebadge the si as I junior and ditch the current I juniors. The cdi compact seems good value

Sponsored Links
The 28CDi Compact is a great boiler, in my opinion one of the best that WB have made large waterways so good on existing systems but as with ALL replacement boilers make sure your system water is properly cleansed and treated

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back