Worcester or Ideal ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi My boiler has packed in today(no hot water) Arriston Eurocombi A23 MFFI (lasted over 18 years).

Looking at getting Boxt in on Tuesday to replace. It seems to be a choice between:

Ideal Logic Plus 24 or Plus 30 against the Worcester Bosch Greenstar 25SI Compact or 30I (Worcester 10 year warranty / Ideal 7 year - but I am moving house in a couple of years so not a real issue here).

I live in a 3 bed semi with 9 radiators (one of which is a double) 7 of which are 2 to 3 feet long and two are 4 foot long approx.

One bath and a combi shower over it.

Thanks for any help you can give.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Thanks for the response. Can I ask why not Boxt.

I did get some local quotes in and they were a good few hundred pounds more expensive than Boxt yet still have the same warranty and they seem to get very good reviews on Trustpilot.

Back to the boiler:
Would the smaller of the boilers (Ideal or Worcester) be adequate or should I go for the slightly more expensive given my house stats.

Thanks

Last edited:
I'd go for the Worcester, much better after sales customer service and back up if you need it.

The compact is the better boiler out of the two, nothing wrong with the I though.

If you go for the 30 I you'll get slightly better hot water performance, all four boilers will heat your house easily.

Sponsored Links
Boxt don't have their own installers, it's all fairly low paid sub contractors, so despite their good reviews on DontTrustPilot (which may or may not be accurate) it's a bit hit and miss who you'll get turning up at your door. Whoever you get, they'll be keen to get the job done in the shortest possible time, which rarely makes for a quality installation. Remember "cheap" rarely means "good quality".

As for which boiler is most suitable for your home, it's almost certain that any of them will provide more than sufficient heating power. Combi boilers are sized on hot water requirement, and that can't be done without knowing your incoming mains pressure and flow rate. Do you know what they are?

Hi Guys,

Just wanted to update on my situation.

I used Boxt in the end as they were cheaper than local quotes I got (by a few hundred £££ at least). They also included a spare wireless thermostat and a spare fernox TF1 (I'll sell on for an even better saving) + £65 back from Quidco. The pipework is VERY neat indeed (a lot tidier than my old boiler pipework). The guy was very polite, tidy and respectful that my wife was schooling my son downstairs while he worked. Full 7 year warranty (went with Ideal boiler).

My personal experience is that they were brilliant from deciding which boiler, through to ordering, through to installation.

Hope this helps anyone else who may be thinking of Boxt for a new boiler.

Last edited:
Ideal Logic or Ideal Vogue for premium model all day every day

Last edited:
Ah, starting to make sense now :) but, whilst I'm happy to be corrected, my understanding was that the Logic is popular and easily sourced and lots of people can fix it with readily available spares, but is thought to be a middle of the road choice (and had a bit of a problem with the well known leak caused by the cracking plastic sump, near the screw) ... wheras the Vogue actually is rated as the more upmarket / premium product?

Not speaking from personal experience, I hasten to add.

Ah, starting to make sense now :) but, whilst I'm happy to be corrected, my understanding was that the Logic is popular and easily sourced and lots of people can fix it with readily available spares, but is thought to be a middle of the road choice (and had a bit of a problem with the well known leak caused by the cracking plastic sump, near the screw) ... wheras the Vogue actually is rated as the more upmarket / premium product?

Not speaking from personal experience, I hasten to add.
Parts are readily available for either. The Vogue is the superior product, certainly heard far less negative feedback about it. The Logic has suffered several issues - heat exchangers failing and leaking down the condensate, cracking sumps, leaking diverter valves, pressure sensors failing... it's an aluminium heat exchanger which makes it far more sensitive to system water quality too. Vogue is a stainless heat exchanger and used to be brass and copper hydraulics, although I understand more plastic is now being used, which is a shame. Does have better modulation though, which makes it more efficient in the real world (if set up correctly).

Parts are readily available for either. The Vogue is the superior product, certainly heard far less negative feedback about it. The Logic has suffered several issues - heat exchangers failing and leaking down the condensate, cracking sumps, leaking diverter valves, pressure sensors failing... it's an aluminium heat exchanger which makes it far more sensitive to system water quality too. Vogue is a stainless heat exchanger and used to be brass and copper hydraulics, although I understand more plastic is now being used, which is a shame. Does have better modulation though, which makes it more efficient in the real world (if set up correctly).

This widely know failure, could that be a result of magnitude of sales of these boilers ( same as ideal icon family) where large numbers fold will mean a fraction failure rate becomes a big number.

Have seen one failed heat exchanger and changed one leaking sump ( easily replaced)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back