Boiler firing when cold taps turned off

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We recently had our heating and water system replaced with a combi. One thing that's really frustrating and probably costing us money, the boiler fires every time a cold tap, toilet or appliance is closed. This also seems to cause a build up of pressure in the hot taps. We have fairly high flow rate and there is a bit of pipe hammer when you shut off the taps. In order to try and resolve I put a hammer arrestor under the kitchen sink (not where the stop cock is). This seems to have stopped it at that tap, but the others still do it. Short of spending 200 quid on arrestors for every appliance and outlet, what are my choices? I read an NRV on the cold feed into the boiler might help?

Note I have tried as much as possible to remove all air from the system but I suspect we have some dead legs buried in walls and floors from all the work that will have air in. Also I did get the plumber back and his solution was to reduce the tap flow by turning the shut offs a bit. He then legged it (and it hasn't worked, but has reduced it a bit)

Sponsored Links
there is a dead leg on a hot water pipe is the old hot supply capped in airing cupboard . Although you hear the boiler kick in it usually isnt on long enough to fire up

there is a dead leg on a hot water pipe is the old hot supply capped in airing cupboard . Although you hear the boiler kick in it usually isnt on long enough to fire up

Yeah there is a capped pipe in the airing cupboard. I know there are two capped in the kitchen wall as well, hot and cold. Can't get to those. I could have the airing cupboard one ripped out when we have the bathroom done.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Yeah there is a capped pipe in the airing cupboard. I know there are two capped in the kitchen wall as well, hot and cold. Can't get to those. I could vale the airing cupboard one ripped out when we have the bathroom done.
if the airing cupboard one is capped with a compression cap you could loosen it a bit and let any trapped air out and tighten it back up

if the airing cupboard one is capped with a compression cap you could loosen it a bit and let any trapped air out and tighten it back up
You might just have cracked it for me. Not a lot came out (maybe 2 seconds), but it seems to have stopped the issue as far as I can tell. Will monitor it. It quite tricky to tell as the worst tap is the furtherst from to boiler so it's tricky to hear it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back