Boiler flue chimney removal

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We are in the process of doing up our house and installing a new heating system and kitchen.

As part of this the floor standing boiler is being removed and replaced with a wall hung unit.

Now the issue is that the old boilers flue exits the kitchen through a small chimney up through the kitchen, the small room above and then into the loft. there is a small pipe out through a roof tile of the same diameter in the kitchen. There is no stack above the roof line.

As we can't get a builder round any time soon to look at it and my missus wanting it done asap I was after advice.

I've attached photos below of the kitchen chimney, bedroom above and the bricks in the loft space.

1st off would we have to get planning involved? its a detached house so no party walls to worry about.

Is it straightforward to remove from the top down through the house, the aim is for the new boiler to go on that part of the wall and the extra space from removing the chimney will free up some useful space.

Ideally i'd like to get just the kitchen section removed then to the upstairs room later but if need to come out in one go then that will have to be that way.

Just want another view as to if it is possible and best ways to get it done and also if we needed approval etc.

Regards

Luke

Sponsored Links
In an ideal world, it wants coming down from top to bottom, however at a pinch you could cut into flue above joists corbel two course out, place 2 no 47x200 under corbels across joists and wedge in place and just take out flue in kitchen. Needs to be done with care.
Regards oldun

The old flue from boiler to chimney is asbestos cement, and beware of possibility of asbestos rope in the flue joints. Advise suitable precautions are taken prior to removal.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back