Boiler flue through chimney flue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm finding it difficult for a location to have a boiler fitted. I live in a terrace so because of boundary rules and visions of elderly moaning neighbours :rolleyes: venting the flue from the front or back of the house is a no go.

I'm thinking of having it installed in the loft. Would i be able to have the boiler flue vent through my chimney flue rather than going through the tiles. The flue is unused and I have an electric fire in my lounge. Is this allowed and what (safety) actions would need to be took for it to work?

Sponsored Links
no , for a start no gas fitter would be allowed to fit a fan flue condensing boiler flue into a chimney , and if he did you would still need a vertical flue kit , which he/she wouldn`t be able to secure properly .

arf

Sponsored Links
Depending on the boiler, most verticle flue kits for the job work out about £150. A flue for a standard installation is around £70. So negligable cost increase to solve your problem.

Halstead do a flue kit for a condensing boiler which fits in the chimney.
It is a kit E for the Eden boiler and can go up to 30m I think

arfurrrr said:
no , for a start no gas fitter would be allowed to fit a fan flue condensing boiler flue into a chimney , and if he did you would still need a vertical flue kit , which he/she wouldn`t be able to secure properly .

arf

Oh I think i see what you mean. You couldn't just terminate the boiler flue into the wall and then seal it, they would still need the vertical flue and this would go inside the chimney flue. Is that what you mean?

Basically, you can't use the chimney flue on its own you would need to place a vertical boiler flue inside it?

Seriously, stay away from the chimney idea. Arfurrr is correct about the kits for them, but as stated, they`d be difficult to secure. A vertical (spelt correctly this time) flue is the least expensive and easier option.

Ok, you're probably right. Would the gas fitter have to get a roofer in to do this or can you purchase a tile to replace the current one. Is it a simple job?

I know that not all tiles are fixed down so would it be a matter of just lifting it off and replacing?

You can buy a purposed made flashing plate for the flue which incorporates a rubber collar to seal to the flue. Easy to fit, and it depends on the plumber you hire for the job. He may stipulate a roofer must fit it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back