Boilers with chimney flues

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is it possible to replace an old boiler that currently has its flue going straight up the chimney with a new combi doing the same (with a new chimney flue kit)?

I was told by a heating engineer that it's not longer possible to install boilers that have their flue up the chimney.

I just need to confirm that what he said was correct.

Sponsored Links
Thanks.

If the current old boiler was a floor-standing model, then would there be an equivalent modern combi that could also sit on the floor and vent straight up the chimney (with a new liner)?

Also, what about condesate pipes and pressure release valves if the current boiler is effectively bang in the middle of the property? I guess the condesate pipe could be routed behind kitchen cabinets to the outside?

Glen Dimplex do a kit for this as well, but i dont know if they do a floor standing model

Hi, I'm just wondering really, are these flue kits an actual liner or do you mean standard vertical flue kits?

Dan :D

Sponsored Links
its all well and good people telling you whats available but I bet you won't find someone to offer to fit one. Atag, Viessmann and Worcester all allow it, but once you price the job up(flues are expensive) its cheaper to move the boiler anyway. Personally I would try and avoid this scenario unless absolutely no alternative. Yet to come across that scenario.

The flues are typically about £500 to buy and to do the job commercially to HSE standards then scaffolding is required!

All in all its usually far better can cheaper to find an external wall or loft site for the boiler.

Tony

The advantage is that you can leave the boiler where the present one is, and the flue discharge is straight up, so there won't be any pluming problems. It can run either as a vertical balanced flue, or a conventional flue.

Taz

Just a wild curiosity, but is this for your house or somewhere? else!

Just reading your other posts on your new boiler install problems. Sort of a bit like closing the door after the horse has bolted.. dont you think

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back