sighting a boiler flue up a dissused chimney

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What are the rules concerning the use of an old chimney to take the flue of a combi boiler to the outside. I realise the top of the chimney would need to be capped but is it alright to use as a means of getting the flue out of the room that the boiler is in as there is no other available access to the outside.

Sponsored Links
Absolutely no problem with the regs as long as.
No part of the chimney is used
The physical integrety is not damaged
All the connections are inspecatable
The length of the flue is within spec

You may find that the practical side of getting it in place whilst complying with the regs, and the M.I. is where it gets difficult.

What make and model are you looking at, and how long would the flue be in total?[/b]

several manufacturers now produce a flexible double pipe flue for chimneys.
halstead definately make one although their boilers are very average quality.

Thanks bengasman. Boiler is a Ravengas HE120T Low nox condensing combi. The vertical flue run would be aprox. 5.5 metres. I understand that the boiler flue would need to be retained every metre. this would be possible by cutting access holes in the chimney which would also serve as inspection hatches. What is M.I. and are there any other nasties to watch out for.

Sponsored Links
M.I. = manufacturers instructions = written in stone; if they say A, and the gasregs say B, M.I. win.

Ravengas? :confused:
You don't mean Ravenheap by any chance?

Thanks bengasman. Must be my age not knowing what M.I. stands for and yes I do mean Ravenheat. I understood that they were reasonable boilers. I take it you don;t think so.

What can I say? Or rather: how can I break the news gently?
Put it this way: the ravenheap is exclusively (as far as I know) sold by diy stores, that should give you a hint. :LOL:
Would I be far wrong by guessing that you have not discussed the enterprise in depth with an installer?

Personally I would only use one of the new Flexible Twin Core Flue kits made specifically for the purpose, Existig Brick chimneys which have been used for solid fuel & oil even if a long time ago leave residues which can corrode metal, therefore I would not recommend using a standard Vertical Balanced flue up an exisiting Chimney
Worcester now make a Flexible Balanced flue kit for their Greenstar Boilers, and as these will have no Joints, you wont have a problem with future inspection and bracketing etc etc ;)

Better than Ideal?
That would put it a comfortable second place.

From the bottom. :(

What are the rules concerning the use of an old chimney to take the flue of a combi boiler to the outside. I realise the top of the chimney would need to be capped but is it alright to use as a means of getting the flue out of the room that the boiler is in as there is no other available access to the outside.

Considering that most chimney breasts are central to many rooms, why would you consider hanging one here.If not central there must be an outside wall?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back