fitting a fire with a balanced flue into a chimney..

It would appear that this make of fire can be used as per your application ! you should have known this prior to purchasing , do you not think ???? :D

Sponsored Links
electric fires are crap....i should know being an electrician!!

haha yeah just poke a flue throu the wall !!! i might do that! see what the neighbours think? not much because theyll all be lieing on the floor!! :LOL:

reason being i got it at a very good price!! where theres a will theres a way!! theres defintly a way of doing it as it states it on the website im guessing they either do it the way the drugstar fires do it or you buy a flexible concentric flue to run up the chimney...

Yes they do , however are you able to get the flue ??? or are you going to use something similar , e.g a drugasar flue on a made in belgium gas fire ??? should have gone flueless ????

not too keen on flueless as they do have a safety stigma attached to them at the mo,(dont give out a great heat either) ideally a normal flued fire would of been better but this came along at the right place/price/time ......youre right as to wether i can get this flue or not bieng a problem... :cry: hopefully it shouldnt be a problem..... seems all they do with the drugastar is run the exhausted gas up the chimney via the central tube then the chimney is used to draw the air down around it?

Sponsored Links
Flueless one recorded fatality with C/O same as electric storage heater e.g 1 recorded fatality with C/O !!!!
I would suggest that if you are unable to get the correct flue you have a problem , all flue's might be considered similar , ??? , Drugasar are Dutch , just up the road from Belgium ??? they might be the same ??
But any responsible installer would not install your fire unless the manu O.K d , your flue system , or it designed for that make of fire , fit for purpose ???

Not at all, as I understand it Drugasar use a concentric flue, certainly the one I fitted a couple of months ago did, that was a rigid flue rather than a flexible liner but the principle's the same. Chimneys are full of muck and dust which will do a gas fire no good at all.

They also do a special flue liner for this purpose , I would still suggest that the manu produce's or supply's there own flue system , which may or may not ?? be the same as a drugasar system ???

ahh well ive emailed the manu.....well have to see what they come back with? wouldnt it be an issue putting a solid concentric flue up the chimney...for example getting it up there in the first place and havent the joints got to be accessable supposedly?
:eek:

They do, and correctly supported so its a no to that one

You done the best thing getting hold of the manu

Thats a cracking good fire, far superior to the crap that is normally passed off as a gas fire here, I'll bet it takes two blokes to lift it... My fire is of similar design, a Dutch made Helex... The manufacturers should be able to supply you with the kit to convert it from horizontal balanced flue to vertical which is what I have done with mine. All seriously good quality stainless steel. The idea of mine is that the fire uses a flexible stainless liner to take the POC to the stainless terminal which also doubles as the combustion air inlet utilising the chimney as the air duct. the chimney is blanked off and a concentric flue connects the fire to the air supply and flue... Kinda tricky to describe but it is very good, I think Helex called it a renovator kit. My local CORGI rep came round to have a look and he suffered a fit of the vapours when he saw it as in those days the principal of this kind of flue was totally alien to the British..

What I would say is that although the flue may be expensive, don't try to mix and match with a flue that is not recommended by the manufacturer

my reply from the manu....

Hello

It is no problem to install a KT125M using an existing chimney. The easiest thing to do is to use two flexible pipes (one of 150 mm and one of 100mm) and put one into another. On top of the Chimney there is an ending part where you connect the flexible pipes.

From this piece you should cut around 20cm to use on the appliance as the start of the flexible pipes.

I hope this info will help you further

Regards

WellStraler

Is there no mention of a maximum length?

I'm not a RGI, but I do know that the overall horizontal and vertical lengths play a big role in flues for boilers and water heaters.

This project is going to end in tears me thinks.

A balanced flue has a maximum operational length else appliance will malfunction. This length can be found in the MIs or is available from manufacturers. To start installing concentric flue up the lum is (as far as I am concerned) going to lead to spillage, pilot outage etc kind of problems.

A rule of thumb is a liner needs to be 125mm dia (area is 122.7 sq cm) for a fire to work when it draws combustion air from the room. Fit a 100mm liner (area 78.5 sq cm), the fire will most likely spill. Fit a 90 degree bend on a 5" flue system, fire most likely to spill.

6" tube will have an area of 176 sq cm. Put a 4" tube in this tube, now you have 98 sq cm for letting in fresh air and 78.5 for evacuation of POC. Can visualise problems.

Some things not even considered are, high resistance to flow of air, inner tube that needs to be hot for evacuation of POC being cooled by combustion air to name a few.

Take it you have purchased the fire. Will be watching this space.

Does this Belgian gas fire have a Gas Council number?

Without it your chances of getting a GasSafe to install it are probably about the same as me pulling Posh Spice (or whoever the tottie du jour is nowadays)

ahh well ive emailed the manu.....well have to see what they come back with? wouldnt it be an issue putting a solid concentric flue up the chimney...for example getting it up there in the first place and havent the joints got to be accessable supposedly?
:eek:

Yes, just to be clear the one I installed was an interior wall-mounted vertical flue, not up inside a chimney, my point was that some fires have vertical balanced flue options, and that there is no reason in theory why you shouldn't be able to have a flexi balanced liner for yours provided it's approved, which it seems that it may be.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back