Balanced Flue / Sealed Gas Fire using existing chimney

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,
I currently am trying to improve the thermal efficiency and comfort level in our our 1920's end terrace. The main issue in our living room is the draught up the chimney. We currently have a high power output open gas fire. However this is useless as the draught up the chimney sucks any heat it produces straight up.
We are planning to replace the fire. The easy option for improving the heat output into the room and reduce the draught would be to get one with a flue liner (current fire is just set into the existing brick chimney.
However I was looking at whether there would be an even better option removing the chimney draught entirely. A Balanced Flue / Sealed gas fire would fit the bill. However these mostly seem to be designed to have a balanced flue routed straight through the wall rather than utilising the existing chimney. I have however found an adapter that allows a co-linear balanced flue stove to be connected to 2 co-linear flue liners http://www.duravent.com/docs/product/L952_W.pdf. Has anyone an opinion on doing this? It would seem like a good option as standard flue liners would be much cheaper than running a balanced flue the whole way up the chimney, if that would even be possible.

Sponsored Links
The fire you have is not if the most efficient type. A glass fronted HE fire is more resistant to the effects of"pull" due to the massively reduced opening from the room to the flue.

I have no idea about the adapter, and I suspect that will be true of most here.
That said, I haven't yet looked at the lnk

Hello all,
I currently am trying to improve the thermal efficiency and comfort level in our our 1920's end terrace. The main issue in our living room is the draught up the chimney. We currently have a high power output open gas fire. However this is useless as the draught up the chimney sucks any heat it produces straight up.
We are planning to replace the fire. The easy option for improving the heat output into the room and reduce the draught would be to get one with a flue liner (current fire is just set into the existing brick chimney.
However I was looking at whether there would be an even better option removing the chimney draught entirely. A Balanced Flue / Sealed gas fire would fit the bill. However these mostly seem to be designed to have a balanced flue routed straight through the wall rather than utilising the existing chimney. I have however found an adapter that allows a co-linear balanced flue stove to be connected to 2 co-linear flue liners http://www.duravent.com/docs/product/L952_W.pdf. Has anyone an opinion on doing this? It would seem like a good option as standard flue liners would be much cheaper than running a balanced flue the whole way up the chimney, if that would even be possible.

Just had a quick look at the link. But skim read it as using phone screen.

Do the manufacturer supply the 3" liner? I don't even know if that is available as no appliance would use it.

Also, I am concerned about the joints. One is not allowed to join flexible flue liner, except within the builders opening for a back boiler.

I would also suspect that the fire maker would void the warranty, unless approval was obtained.

Not trying to be negative for the fun of it, but it all seems odd.

I will try to have a proper read

EDIT: This seems to be from the USA, do not allowed here.

First of all check the terminal on the chimney check it's suitable for a gas fire :

https://www.travisperkins.co.uk/Hepworth-Stell-125-Gas-Terminal-Red-180mm-YK19R/p/855748

The correct terminal can help reduce the pull of a solid fuel chimney.

Check the pressure relief hole in the closure plate is correct this can help reduce the pull through the fire.

You cannot fit a balanced flue fire in to a chimney stack.

What you could do if the chimney is on an external wall is extend the flue through the fireplace and exit through the back of the stack, but you would have to check with the fire manufacturer as to the maximum length if flue you can fit.

Sponsored Links
The Duravent, as Fireman T has pointed out, is of American design and origin I've never heard of anything like that being either used or permitted in the UK. Secondly, as they say themselves, it can only be used with 'an approved list of direct vent gas appliances', which I imagine wont be available, suitable or legal to use in the UK.

Thanks for the reply’s. It sounds like the choices are a glass fronted fire that still draws air from the room but through a much more restricted opening or a balanced flue fire with the flue going straight out through the side of the house.
Would the 1st option still require a room vent?
Is there no way of having a balanced flue up the class 1 chimney (and if not is it the difficulty of running a rigid flue or the length involved)?

Thanks for the reply’s. It sounds like the choices are a glass fronted fire that still draws air from the room but through a much more restricted opening or a balanced flue fire with the flue going straight out through the side of the house.
Would the 1st option still require a room vent? NO. NOT NORMALLY
Is there no way of having a balanced flue up the class 1 chimney (and if not is it the difficulty of running a rigid flue or the length involved)? NO

Why? Just because you are scared off , or have no real experience with, gas fires, doesn't mean a user should be deprived the FF their benefits
Benefits??
Most modern boilers will heat the house with the gas used on a fire.... And no!! Gas fires and conventional flues were my bread and butter for 25 years.

Will the heating warm you and the room in a few minutes, say, when you have nipped home FF or lunch or from an evening out for 10 mins before retiring?

A modern decent fire will run for half hour on FULL for about 10p.
Few electric ones come any way near a gas fire
And some Folk LIKE a fire.

Yep. Cheap looking.

Not every one in this world is looking for the cheapest of everything.
Agreed! It was just all the talk about 10p an hour that made me think about purchase cost.
And not sure how but the end of my post was chopped,I was going to say and it's easy to move around your house. Definitely a case of function over form though.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back