Balanced Flue / Sealed Gas Fire using existing chimney

So I do have heating (thank you Terrywookfit for your concern) but have been trying to reduce how much of it leaves the house.
I have been adding internal wall insulation and generally trying to improve the air tightness. I have blocked up a couple of fireplaces (except for vents to stop all the problems if that isn't done). The one I am asking about is the last remaining one. It is in the living room which is a room that is likely to be mainly used in the evenings and so it would seem like a good option to have a quick heat source for when it is needed and only use the heating to a lower temperature normally.

I am aware in the long term if I continue to improve the insulation and air tightness I may get to the point where a MVHR system may be an option and that is my main concern when it comes to a replacement fire. Ideally for MVHR the building should be very airtight and so normally a completely closed to the room fire would be used but these normally have balanced flues. I believe for safety reasons it is also desirable that the fire doesn't rely on supply air from the room as MVHR systems can create a lower air pressure risking drawing air from the fire.
This is however very long term thinking as the house currently leaks like a sieve but I just don't want to have to replace the fire it if I can make the right choices now.

Sponsored Links
Why? Just because you are scared off , or have no real experience with, gas fires, doesn't mean a user should be deprived the FF their benefits
@FiremanT I have a live flame effect wonderfire and I know absolutely nothing about fires but I have the ticket, I couldnt have got through the really cold spell recently here with out mine , first think I do when I get in is switch it on, I have full CH with hive and nothing like sitting in front of a glowing real flame fire

So I do have heating (thank you Terrywookfit for your concern) but have been trying to reduce how much of it leaves the house.
I have been adding internal wall insulation and generally trying to improve the air tightness. I have blocked up a couple of fireplaces (except for vents to stop all the problems if that isn't done). The one I am asking about is the last remaining one. It is in the living room which is a room that is likely to be mainly used in the evenings and so it would seem like a good option to have a quick heat source for when it is needed and only use the heating to a lower temperature normally.

I am aware in the long term if I continue to improve the insulation and air tightness I may get to the point where a MVHR system may be an option and that is my main concern when it comes to a replacement fire. Ideally for MVHR the building should be very airtight and so normally a completely closed to the room fire would be used but these normally have balanced flues. I believe for safety reasons it is also desirable that the fire doesn't rely on supply air from the room as MVHR systems can create a lower air pressure risking drawing air from the fire.
This is however very long term thinking as the house currently leaks like a sieve but I just don't want to have to replace the fire it if I can make the right choices now.

I am not especially familiar with MVHR, but if that is a serious intent, then a balanced flue is the way to go.

Why? Just because you are scared off , or have no real experience with, gas fires, doesn't mean a user should be deprived the FF their benefits
You have no idea of my experience or lack of it..I am certainly not scared or lack experience with gas fires.I make thousands of pounds a year repairing and servicing them!.

Sponsored Links
You have no idea of my experience or lack of it..I am certainly not scared or lack experience with gas fires.I make thousands of pounds a year repairing and servicing them!.

Fair enough. So WHY are you so adamant that the fire should be cut off and the flue blocked?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back