Gas fire and class 1 chimney

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi i have a class 1 chimney with the stack removed and tiled over on roof,
and the chimney is not good inside and would need a flue liner. The fire place has been striped out all fire bricks and old water back boiler. There
is a marble fire place that we don't want to damage or try to remove.
Now the problem a gas flue box will not go through the hole in fire place, so a linner can't be fitted. To save having to make a big hole in back of chimney to get the flue box in from the back. What i would to do is to fix a plate at bottom of chimney, cement over the plate so chimney is blocked
off so nothing can fall down, us brickwork to make back of fire place smaller, then have a balanced flue gas fire fitted with the flue going out the through the back of chimney. I own the ground at back chimney and
nothing there to get in way of flue and no windows. Is it gas safe legal to
have this done. Please help thanks.

Sponsored Links
Nothing to stop you capping the stack/breast and then taking the flue out of the back of the chimney as long as it exits at a safe height (I know this is a wall but you get the idea):-

tekening2_big.gif

The gassafe installer you hire to install will ensure the installation conforms to regs - but in essence your idea is sound.

i am a bit confused, which is nothing unusual, if your original plan is to fit a standard fire into a liner and flue box, but the opening is too small to fit the box it is acceptable to fit the liner and seal the liner at the bottom to ensure no fumes go up the outside of the liner, you can use a clamp plate and plaster it in, however before fitting a liner i would look at potential fires to confirm that the catchment space at the bottom is of a large enough volume as per MI, you also need the MI to know the height up from the hearth that the liner needs to finish, cant remember off the top of my head but i think the liner needs to protrude 25mm through the clamp plate

Hi thanks for your advice.

Is there a legal height for the balanced flue or can it just go through the back of the chimney to the outside with a guard over the flue, or does it have to go up the chimney a bit then out.

What i want is for it to be legal,

thanks Beeman.

Sponsored Links
kirkgas";p="1856871 said:
i am a bit confused, which is nothing unusual, if your original plan is to fit a standard fire into a liner and flue box, but the opening is too small to fit the box it is acceptable to fit the liner and seal the liner at the bottom to ensure no fumes go up the outside of the liner, you can use a clamp plate and plaster it in, however before fitting a liner i would look at potential fires to confirm that the catchment space at the bottom is of a large enough volume as per MI, you also need the MI to know the height up from the hearth that the liner needs to finish, cant remember off the top of my head but i think the liner needs to protrude 25mm through the clamp plate[/quote.

Hi thanks for your help, so are you saying i can fit a liner but it dosen't
have to have a gas flue box fitted on the bottom end. And the plate you are talking about to hold the liner, can it be flat or does it have be shaped. You see what ever i do, it has to be the proper corect and legal
way . I have been advised by a nother reply that i could have a balanced
flue gas fire fitted in a fire place, so long as chimney is blocked off.
I need to be sure which way to do this so i can buy the corect gas fire
and do a little building work before i call the gas safe man in.
Thanks for all the help, Beeman.

you have 2 options, so first thing is to decide what type of fire you want, based on choice, price and total invoice for whatever type you decide on, (i think copex liner is about £30 per metre, plus labour to fit) the balanced flue type or traditional open flue, a lot of people are moving away from open flue as there is a potential for a problem with products of combustion spilling back into the room, either due to poor/no servicing or a problem with a blocked flue, if you intend to get the fire serviced every year and the fact you have a flue liner i would say the chances of a problem would be slim, but ultimately it is your choice what type of fire to fit,
if you choose an open flue then yes it is perfectly acceptable to drop a liner and seal the bottom with a plate, depending on the size/shape of the opening you can use a "clamp plate" which is a 2 piece plate which is also used at the top of the chimney to hold the liner up, or if the hole is too big for that you can buy a "closure plate" which is the plate that comes with the fire and gets taped over the catchment space/fireplace opening, it is very thin aluminium and can be cut and shaped very easily, have a look on BES website and you will see the products i have mentioned, i will have a look at BS doc and try to post a diagram of the way it needs to be finished at the bottom, i had mentioned before, check catchment space requirements for the fire you want BEFORE you buy it to ensure the fitter can fit the fire for you,

We run a fireplace shop, and I promise you that you are going to make a mistake, especiall if you listen to some if the inapropiate "advice" so far. Your best bet is to speak to a GS RGI first, and he would advise on the best PRACTICAL course of action, and better still vist a local fireplace showroom who will have seen it all before.

Anyway, a standard 16" inset balanced flue fire has the flue straight out the back, so will be a simple fit

We run a fireplace shop, and I promise you that you are going to make a mistake, especiall if you listen to some if the inapropiate "advice" so far.

Would you be so kind as to more specific as to which "inappropriate advice" you are referring to? It will help future readers of this post.

get a balanced flue, less likely to kill your canaries and usually more efficient.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back