using a lined chimney for coal/wood fire instead of gas

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a cast iron fireplace that currently has a gas firebox in the bottom of it. I would like to remove the gas box and start using it as it was orginally design - an open fire and burn wood and coal etc.
My question is around the chimney - it has been lined with a tube liner - will this be ok to use for an open fire? - Obvously now a tube has been put up the chimney the volume of the chimney has been reduced - is this ok?

Thanks in advance

more info -

the current flue is a 125mm diameter flexible liner type flue. The fire is an inset cast iron fire with tiled insets and wooden surround. The firebox measures 400mm wide and 200 deep but its not square it narrows from front to back to about 250mm.

Sponsored Links
If it pulls it pulls. If not your room will be full of smoke :LOL:

But id say your biggest problem is the temperatures as will be MUCH hotter. I think a standard flueliner is not capable of higher temps and could melt as such.

As u can buy solid fuel liners and these are way expensive :eek:

Do'nt use the gas liner, Wrong material and too small.

you need to remove or get someone to remove your gas liner (and the gas cowl that it should have on top) before using it as an open fire.

Sponsored Links
tukky142";p="494494 said:
Hi,

I have a cast iron fireplace that currently has a gas firebox in the bottom of it. I would like to remove the gas box and start using it as it was orginally design - an open fire and burn wood and coal etc.
My question is around the chimney - it has been lined with a tube liner - will this be ok to use for an open fire? - Obvously now a tube has been put up the chimney the volume of the chimney has been reduced - is this ok?

NO,NO,NO. VERY DANGROUS. Seriously. Lookat Hetas website

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back