Using a gas-coal fireplace as a wood fire

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hiya--

I've got one of those standard gas fireplaces with the faux-coals on top. Does anyone know if it's possible to remove the "coals", cut off the gas line and use the basket for wood and simply use it as a wood fireplace?

I would convert to a standard wood, but it seems in Britain you can only get those ancient-looking iron wood burners. Part of the appeal is the idea of an open wood fire crackling away.

Thanks and happy Christmas

Sponsored Links
Such a conversion would not end well at all! Have you broken into the xmas sherry already?
I would convert to a standard wood, but it seems in Britain you can only get those ancient-looking iron wood burners.
The heat would destroy most other things, and blacken everything else!

You can get modern looking wood burners and you can get fire backs and hearths and so on easy enough, what do you actually want?

Open fires are only 15% efficient, so not the best things to use; and you get sparks flying out, so need a guard in place, so what started off as a great idea, slowly falls apart. Firstly, are the fire bricks etc still in place, and what's the condition of the opening; in theory, the gas fire should have been in a original fire place, so you should have a reasonably good starting point. Pictures would help.

I'd suggest you look at log burners instead.

Sponsored Links
If the fire os ofthos type:

35119_1.jpg

as opposed to this:
ApexPinnacle400HE250.jpg

Then yes, you can. Obviously get a RGI to remive the gas pipe safely!

You will need some extra parts - this will give you an idea:
https://www.thefiresideshop.co.uk/fire-kits-fire-baskets.html

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back