Gas fire / flue options

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to fit a coal effect gas fire to a lounge fireplace. The fireplace has a gas supply already, but the last owner of the house just used a fire basket to burn logs, and we don't use it at all.

I'd like to fit a coal effect gas fire, and at the same time seal off the chimney to stop the cold air filling the lounge. I've looked through the archives and I'm a bit confused about whether I need to fit a flue, or not? The current chimney has been used for gas and wood, and doesn't look lined to me.

Most burners have circular exit pipe - how does this get merged into the existing chimney?

I've taken a picture of my sooty chimney here : http://www.photobox.co.uk/album/album_photo.html?c_photo=110627041

Cheers

Gary

Sponsored Links
Suggest you get a CORGI in to look at it as you seem to be suggesting two different types of gas fire. Chimney would have to be swept prior to installation of gas fire if used for solid fuel/wood before.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back