Log burner as a replacement for gas fire

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am looking for a replacement and money saving ideas to save on my gas bill. We have a gas fire in the lounge and looking to replace it with a built in log burner stove.

How difficult is to remove the old gas fire (by corgi registered engineer), the old fire place and I guess get a builder to insert this burner in to the fire place?
Anyone know the implications or pit falls to watch out for?
Do I need to get a flue the length of the chimney and/or a chimney sweep?

My house is an old Victorian house so I guess the open fireplaces were originally used as intended back in the day...

Any help on this from DIY experts is appreciated

Sponsored Links
You'll probably need a new flue which will be expensive, your installation engineer will be able to advise. The installer should perform a survey first.

If you want heat, don't get an inset stove. It should be obvious that physics is not going to allow a thing stuck in a hole to give out anywhere near as much heat as a free standing type.

You may find your house has fairly large arches hidden behind the fireplaces, so a free standing one should fit easily. You also need a non combustable hearth extending in front of the stove IIRC 12" minimum.

Sponsored Links
I like!

You will need a CORGI to remove the gas fire, and a HETAS registered fitter for the fuel burner.

Some fitters have both tickets, but this is quite rare.

Hi,

Although i would recommend a hetas installer, by law you don't 'need' a hetas installer.

Best to get the chimney lining inspected before anything else, if it needs work the cost of that may put you off changing to solid fuel.

Sam

If the existing lining is gas rated, it will not be acceptable for wood.

Why would it be lined for gas? Most gas fire's don't require flexible liners to be installed so it will more than likely be using the original/existing liner or be unlined altogether.

Even for a quality double layered stainless T400 liner suitable for solid fuel (BS EN 1856-2) There life expectancy is only 5-10 years depending on the quality of the fuel burned. HETAS state flexible stainless steel liner's should be classed as not permenant

Best to get it looked at by an engineer first!

Sam

I know :LOL: Oil flexi's are quite a bit cheaper than stainless flue liners though!!

What's that got to do with a wood burning flue liner though? :eek:

Sam

To illustrate that just because HETAS "state" something, doesn't necessarily mean it's justified with some qualification. Oil flexible liners aren't "permanent" either..

Which is worth mentioning for the OP then i would have thought? Worth considering when you spend £££'s on a new liner which may only last 5 years. Other option's may want to be considered.

Sam

Hi,

Although i would recommend a hetas installer, by law you don't 'need' a hetas installer.

Sam

The only other route is buildings control approval... I believe the law requires one or the other.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back