fitting a log burner

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi am new here ,, so here gans ,,just sick of high gas bill so we have been out and getting a log burner , now question is it did have a coall fire in 25 years ago till they put gas fires in ,and put a gas flue up the chimmey as they do ,, now question is can i rip the gas flue out and fit the log burner with the meter pipe up the chimmey which is safe to use ,with out any new flue , any advice please nyra ,,

Sponsored Links
No, the gas flue liner is not suitable for solid fuel.

You'll need to get the chimney checked for soundness or relined with a suitable flue liner.

The cost of correctly installing a log burner is going to take a long time to pay back for the saving in gas, especially if you don't have a supply of free wood to burn (don't know whether you do or not...). In almost all cases it's best to re-line the chimney with a liner approved for use in solid fuel applications, as an old chimney cannot be guaranteed to be sound, and the last thing you want is fumes seeping into a bedroom and killing someone. Budget around £500 for the liner, excluding installation costs.

You must get your log burner installed by someone who is qualified to fit them, you can't just DIY it.

Nyra,

I think that DIA didn't read your post properly.

The condition of the flue liner is irrelevant, as it IS NOT suitable for solid fuel or wood. And anyway, you intend to remove it.

Some stoves are ok to go into an unlined flue, depending on manufacturers instructions.

However may need to line the flue if there are any leaks in the chimney. Make sure you know the condition of the flue before buying the stove, and if you don't want to line check with the instructions, again before you purchase.

On the question of gas bills, do you intend to stop using the boiler, and how much do you actualy use the gas fire? Too many people change to a woodburner in the beleif that there fire is pushing up the bills, whereas it is normally the heating. Alternastively, you may have an old and extremely inefficient gas fire, whereas a new fire can return 92% efficiency on high. Thes efires burn approximately 5 - 6Kw, so on HIGH at 6kw, it costs between 18p - 19.5p, per hour, depending on your deal with the gas supplier. And unless you have a massive room, it won't be on high for long.

Sponsored Links
hi all thanks for the replys
only reason i/we need it out as the only thing it dos is keep the birds warm on the chimmey ,, the chimmey seens to all sealed and the house is only 45 years old and for 23 of them year iv lived here in this house with gas but gas was fitted in these houses around 35 years ago as i lived in the street when the council did them ,so the chimmey has had very little use ,heat wise v look at the chimmey via the loft and all has been seal with new plaster , and shows no signs of cracks ,, so the flue that is in is a gas flue which needs to be remove .. ,, iv had my head up the chimmey dirty job ,,and all looks good ,so am going to put a smoke bomb up it a and see what happends ,.i v red that i may not need a flue in the chimmey if its all sealed .. am i reet in thinking that i may just chuck thelog burner in with the pipe and plate ,, this log burner is only for heating the living room as its 35 ft long and 20 wide and NOT to heat water or work rads ,, and will be only used every now and again , and never to be left on all night . and yes i love a living flame been old school

Just because the chimney looks sound doesn't mean that it is. Plaster is porous and carbon monoxide can get through the smallest defects. Either way it's not a DIY job, if you install a woodburner yourself and then your house burns down, your insurance will not cover you and you'll end up with no house and no money.

muggles";p="1981688 said:
Just because the chimney looks sound doesn't mean that it is. Plaster is porous and carbon monoxide can get through the smallest defects. Either way it's not a DIY job, if you install a woodburner yourself and then your house burns down, your insurance will not cover you and you'll end up with no house and no money.[/quote
muggles";p="1981688 said:
]

This is mentioned SO many times, and generally, it is a load of rollocks.

Most people assume suicides automattically invalidate tinsurance

any body in the north east then able to fit it for me at the going rates , failing that its the gas flue out and a log stainless steel flue in and put the damm thing in my self ,, and cardon monoxide,units in every room i i just dont want ripping off getting it fitted ,, quotes welcome

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back