advice on a log burner/stove

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hello
i am thinking of getting a log burner but am a little stuck where would be the easiest place to put it. we have a gas fire in the front room and from what i can tel it seems to be a concrete block chimney/flue (not visable inside or outside the propety) with a steel flue in the loft which goes through the roof . my question is would this concrete block chimney be siutable i am guessing it is part of the wall
cheers chris

Sponsored Links
Are you proposing that you replace the gas fire with a log burner? This should be OK but you'll almost certainly need your flue liner replacing as the flue temperatures from a log burner are a lot higher than they are from a gas fire. It might be possible to put a short length of flue up into the chimney then seal it in, but this depends on the condition of your chimney.

Forget it.

You have what is called a "precast flue", No good for any solid fuel burning appliance i'm afraid.

Don't be too hasty scatman, if there's a hole at the top and a hole at the bottom I see no reason why you can't drop a flue liner down there, provided there is space to do so.

Sponsored Links
Don't be too hasty scatman, if there's a hole at the top and a hole at the bottom I see no reason why you can't drop a flue liner down there, provided there is space to do so.

Maybe if you ran over it with a steam roller first. :rolleyes:

thank you for your replydo you have to have a doubled lined chimney? i have seem thermal type block and twin wall stainless steel flue can these be used on there own or would they have to be inside the chimney my understanding of it is that it needs to be douled skinned to retain the heat so you get the "pull" ?
cheers chris

You seem to know more about it than some of those replying!

The fire installation instructions will tell you that you need a double walled steel flue, usually about 8" diameter, or a chimney built of insulating blocks, not just Celcon blocks but special preformed blocks which seem to have crushed pumice stone in them to give a very high insulation valve.

[ But I expect it would work if you just built in with Celcon blocks anyway ]

You will also need an external combustion air vent, thats often forgotten!

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back