advice on a log burner/stove

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hello
i am thinking of getting a log burner but am a little stuck where would be the easiest place to put it. we have a gas fire in the front room and from what i can tel it seems to be a concrete block chimney/flue (not visable inside or outside the propety) with a steel flue in the loft which goes through the roof . my question is would this concrete block chimney be siutable i am guessing it is part of the wall
cheers chris

Sponsored Links
not on your nelly, no.

if you are burning wood then a minimum 225mm clay pot lined flue will be necessary.

you could add a chimney to an outside wa££.:cool:

If your flue is as you describe, then the answer to your question is no. From your description you have a flue block that is laid with the internal skin of blockwork then stops at gable height and continued onwards with the metal liner usually to a ridge vent. These are not a class 1 flue which is what you require. Beat me to it Nose :D

not on your nelly, no.

if you are burning wood then a minimum 225mm clay pot lined flue will be necessary.

you could add a chimney to an outside wa££.:cool:

Yeah, I've just been quoted about £9000 to put a pumice lined chimney on my house.

(I'm getting some local guys to do it for quite a bit less!! :LOL:)

Sponsored Links
thank you for your reply do you have to have a doubled lined chimney? i have seem thermal type block and twin wall stainless steel flue can these be used on there own or would they have to be inside the chimney my understanding of it is that it needs to be douled skinned to retain the heat so you get the "pull" ?
cheers chris

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back