Installing a log burner

its worth pointing out it may invalidate your house insurance in case off fire and not certified ??

Sponsored Links
image.jpg
I am not moving house all I wanted to know if it was a job that could be done myself as to me it seems straight forward enough. All I really wanted to know was if the flue actually gave off any heat or not & if it would be fine to run behind my tv and through the ceiling and loft without risk of fire? And is fire proof plasterboard enough for the surround?
image.jpg

Fireproof plasterboard?

No such thing in this instance. If you mean pink plasterboard, it won't be suitable. You'd need a cement board such as 12mm Hardie board.

Your best bet for a burner install is to strip everything back to bare brick and make good with fire resistant plaster. Look at Vitcas products.

If your cable is chased into the wall and safe enough distance from the stove, then it could possibly stay put.

The TV can stay on that wall but you'll have to raise it up clear of the stove. The heat probably won't do it any good though in the long run.

By 'safe enough distance' I mean whatever the regs or stove instructions specify. You could be looking at 400-450mm from the flue pipe or stove.

Are those box like things either side of the hearth something you've constructed out of fire resistant pb and is there an existing flue you intend joining the stove outlet into with a short length of twinwall

Sponsored Links
If theres no flue you need a sectional twinwall as was mentioned earlier.
The stove cannot bare the weight of the flue so it has to be suspended from above or sit on a bracket behind the stove.
Different flue makes have their own distances to combustable specs which can vary depending on whether its going to be boxed or unboxed, the former require the shaft it in is ventilated to let heat out.
If you haven't, I suggest you read,
https://assets.publishing.service.g...ds/attachment_data/file/468872/ADJ_LOCKED.pdf

Is that granite fireplace solid granite? Some of these are made from sections too thin to bear the weight of a logburner, they are sold for gas appliances only and not intended for use with solid fuel.
In any case your hearth will probably need to extend forward into the room by at least another foot.
Chances are, you'll have to replace it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back