Depth of Chimney breast

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a 1950's bungalow with an external chimney breast (not party wall) that extends into the room by about 15 inches. Can anyone give me an idea how far back from the front of the chimney bresat the flu runs?

The reason is I want to create a 3'' recess, 3' x 4' in the breast for a flat screen TV, and preferably do not want to damage the internal flu (the fireplace will have an open gas fire installed, it will not be an open coal/log fire).

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I am sorry to say that creating a recess in the chimney breast is a non-starter unless you never want to use the flue again.

The actual flue is probably around 4" in from the face of the wall. There are minimum thickness's of non-combustible material required all around the Flue, so you see any recess forming is going to impact on that.

As above; if the breast extends into the room by about 15" (could it be just a little less?), then it is more than likely the front will only be a single-thickness of brick, which precludes hacking any of it away.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back