Re Opening up a blocked up fireplace. To fit a wood burner stove

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When we moved in. We blocked up an archway and plasterborded ober to make walls flat and smooth

Now.. Weve decided we want a log burner.

So my plan of action is....

Rip plasterbord down.
Knock out them large thermo bricks

Where would the lintel likley be?

The stove fitter has said he would fit a new lintel at appropriate height for burner.

The internal of the fireplace i want to tile in a brick like tile. I presume il need a certian adhesive for the heat. And certian grout.

What would i be looking for in terms of openings of the chimney. As you can see they used to have a gas fire.

I presume the flue goes to the rest of the chimney. Would there be a problem from there to the bottem of the chimney opening.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180923-212821.png
    Screenshot_20180923-212821.png
    260.6 KB · Views: 232
  • Screenshot_20180923-212718.png
    Screenshot_20180923-212718.png
    303.7 KB · Views: 203
  • Screenshot_20180923-212948.png
    Screenshot_20180923-212948.png
    288.4 KB · Views: 233
Sponsored Links
Does it look like a big concrete lintel right above the old arch? I think so.

As for a flue, god knows what is up there. Probably best having a new one installed.

If you're putting a woodburner in you'll need a flue liner anyway (which will add a few bob to the installation).

As for the rest, get rid of the plasterboard and any plaster on the brickwork and have a look. Good odds there's a brick arch in there somewhere, if it is in good condition then keep it

Ok so i knocked out all the breeze blocks.

Im curious as to where my builders opening would be? Or if im using the wrong terminology, the hole for the flue?

Shurly, not further back? So wouldwit be straight up, through the arch?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20181007-215223.png
    Screenshot_20181007-215223.png
    595.3 KB · Views: 158
  • Screenshot_20181007-215206.png
    Screenshot_20181007-215206.png
    801.3 KB · Views: 173
  • Screenshot_20181007-215211.png
    Screenshot_20181007-215211.png
    468.7 KB · Views: 161
Sponsored Links
The builders opening is the big hole where the fire/stove sits. You have this. What is not immediately visible is the chimney opening. You need to see if this has been blocked up. If you knock with your hand up there, does it sound hollow?

On looking at where the original gas fire and flue is, is there actually a chimney stack above this arch?

Last edited:
I should imagine it is. As the other houses in the road are the same layout, as ive seen on rightmove sold houses, pictures

stop what your doin mate until youve youve selected an appliance, then get the Mfr's instal dimensions - otherwise you could be workin against yourself. youve got to work to dims.

dont presume anythin where fumes an flues are concerned - youve got to be spot on.
where the old SS liner disapeared into the wall has to be traced an sorted.
theres lots of other safety an Regs stuff needed to do what you propose.

why not call in a HETAS for a view?

The big concrete bit about 2ft high just above the archway, is solid. Drilling upwards from the archway.

Do you think it willwbe hollow AFTER that. Would there be any risk in just probing with a drill. Ijust 5mill or so dia by the 2ft depth.

Ie. How would i find if it can be opend up(by hetas ofc)

We have a chimney brest in both bedrooms upstairs (both blocked up, flat walls) so i assume the bit that sticks out on the right is to do with that?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back