Opening up Fireplace

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I need a little advice please

I am prepping a fireplace for a HETAS engineer to line the flue and install a wood burner, this is a 1960s house.

Looking inside the chimney I could see a lintel so I expected to be able to open the chimney to this point, however after removing a couple of what I thought were retro fitted arches for smaller fireplaces I didn't find what I was expecting, the bricks just seem to continue upwards, no lintel.

Further investigation seems to show the lintel sits behind the outer skin of bricks and presumably supports the chimney but not the skin of the chimney breast.

Now I'm a bit stuck, I'm as high as I need to be (inline with the lintel behind) but a little concerned that unless I inset a new lintel It'll be dangerous. Can anyone advise please?

Thanks

Matt[/img]

Sponsored Links
Your pics wont expand so i dont know what i'm looking at.

But, as above, simply get your correct length lintel (opening plus eight inches) ready, and carefully knock out the bricks required to bed the lintel in.
When the lintel is set in then you can cut back any protruding bricks below.
What kind of lintel can you see on the inside?

The major concern for a DIY'er is that you are opening up to the correct dimensions of the appliance manufacturer.

If you are still unsure or there's any movement above the opening then you can hire a "strongboy" for insurance.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back