Retro Fitting Precast Or Cat 2 Flue For Gas Fire - No Chimney

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
EDIT - TITLE SHOULD SAY 'CLASS 2'

I've got an old and dated balanced flue gas fire on an outside wall of bungalow as there is no chimney. The wall is flat inside with no chimney breast or proper fireplace. I wanted to replace this with something like a limestone fireplace and modern b/f gas fire.

However, we're thinking of building an extension the other side of the wall from lounge where the b/f vents to outside. As the wall where the gas fire is the only one in lounge where fire can go and I'm under orders that only a gas fire will do - looks like the only option is to have some kind of flue going up to roof.

As it's a bungalow, I'm thinking either class 2 flue or precast. Is it possible to retro fit a class 2 flue or precast? I could either build a fireplace with breast on lounge side, or poss go through wall behind fire into new extension other side of wall and have flue going up in new extension. Poss boxed in behind a stud wall.

Any thoughts appreciated as to whether it's possible and least costly/disruptive way of doing it.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
The most cost effective would be to use something like the IL flue with a flue box for the fire...clicky on the Gas Flue Boxes to get an idea.

https://www.sflchimneys.com/chimney-systems/product/il/

All gas installer work....

Thanks Gasguru. Bearing in mind it's a bungalow and currently flat wall (ie. no breast) in lounge where fire is - other side of wall from fire will be a new extension. How would IL box and flue be installed?

Would I need to have a plasterboard chimney breast in lounge with IL box set into it with flue inside, through ceiling into loft? Then how would it terminate - ridge tile type terminal or stove pipe type through lead slate?

Or could IL box be set into wall in lounge keeping flat wall and no breast - and flue going through wall into the new extension and run up to new roof? Obviously where flue runs up wall in new extension it will be boxed in.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back