New fire and existing chimney> smoke test etc?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all

Basically are installing a hole in the wall type burner into the place where an existing gas fire used to be installed. (brick chimney)

vertroom.jpg

The fire isnt installed, just the aperture is there ready. What i`m unsure of is whether i need to get the chimney lined with a class 1 liner, which will attach to the supplied gather and firebox, or whether the existing chimney is ok as it stands without the liner? It states it requires a class 1 chimney for the fire

I want to do this right but i need a plan of action.

Ideally the chimney needs sweeping, and it ideally needs checking for soundness and whether its suitable for the fire.

I dont want a cowboy sweep round, what standards or membership should i be looking for? and as a sweep can they actually advice on whether the chimney is suitable? as i was thinking thats more a gas installers type of thing..

can you advice me of the route i should take? i dont want to take any chances on this. (not that the fire will be on much i guess) :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Get a sweep in to clean it. An RGI will be able to advise on suitability of the opening.

Also be aware, that fire requires a vent to outside of 100cm square.

Cheers for replies, even though its in wrong section. :oops:

firstly, what is an RGI?

also scatman, i guess you mean a suitable airbrick, 10cm x 10cm? If so there is already a vent to outside from that room via an airbrick thats about 15cmx15cm.

Cheers!

Sponsored Links
scatmanjohn said:
Also be aware, that fire requires a vent to outside of 100cm square.

Are you sure thats correct? Sounds very large.

Are you quite sure its not 100 square centimeters?

Whatever.

I would have done one of them little number 2's if i new how, but i don't, so i didn't

scatmanjohn said:
Whatever.

I would have done one of them little number 2's if i new how, but i don't, so i didn't

You mean cm² ?

Softus seems to know all about them because whenever I post anything he replies:-

® ?

Tony

alexhayes said:
Cheers for replies, even though its in wrong section. :oops:

firstly, what is an RGI?

also scatman, i guess you mean a suitable airbrick, 10cm x 10cm? If so there is already a vent to outside from that room via an airbrick thats about 15cmx15cm.

Cheers!

Its not the actual size of the vent but what is known as the free area.

Your corgi guy should know.

The clay vent bricks used in gas assessments usually have 8 mm square holes which each has an area of 0.64 cm².

Nowadays, chimney sweeps are VERY professional and although not ( usually ) CORGI registered they do a flue flow test and as well a spillage test if there is a fire fitted and record the details very conscientiously on a form given to the owner.

Tony

scatmanjohn said:
Whatever.

Start.
All programs.
Accessories.
System tools.
Character map.

then select the symbol you want, copy and paste :rolleyes:

Its easier than that on my computer, I just use Alt 178 and it magically appears.

Perhaps DIA still has one of those ZX81 ?

100cm²

Hows that Tony..does that meet with your approval :LOL:

Alt 178 does naff all on my laptop so cheers DIA your way works best (for me) ;)

If you know the Unicode equivalent of the character you want to insert, you can also insert a special character directly into a document without using Character Map. To do so, open the document and position the insertion point where you want the special character to appear. Then, with NUM LOCK on, hold down the ALT key while using the number pad keys to type the Unicode character value.

² is 0178
▓ is 178

That Agile with his duff info :evil:

Tony, take note, it's 0178, NOT 178

:rolleyes:

;)

☻

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back