Boiler going out

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This is a Baxi back boiler. It fires up for a few minutes then goes out in both settings ie. heating and water. Any ideas what the problem may be?it was serviced 5 months ago.

Sponsored Links
If you are lucky it will be a pump, BUT could be something REALLY serious, get a RGI in. A service only meant it was safe at that time!

I am a bit worried. When you say REALLY SERIOUS do you mean it could be dangerous? It is in a house I rent out and she has a young family so I need to get it fixed asap. Only found out about it at 5 oclock. My usual plumber is in Spain. He rang me and said it could be the thermostat overheating?
I am getting a heating engineer in tomorrow but wanted some idea as to what to expect???

Don't panic the safety devices are kicking in as they should, But when a safety trips, the cause must be investigated by a RGI.

Sponsored Links
Just heard from the plumbing company the agent sent to the property. They have said they are going to drain the system to see if that works and the problem is with the cylinder?? If it doesn't work will need a combi boiler !!! sound familiar?? I am not a plumber but does this sound a bit fishy? I suggested the pump might be at fault but was told no it is a circulation problem. ( Thought this was what the pump was for) The boiler is firing every time so it probably is a circulation fault but would this mean a new cylinder or even a combi boiler.?? Advice needed asap.

Many thanks

If you have an old 'Primatic' cylinder it sounds possible. Not there though, so cannot comment further.

Don't know what a primatic cylinder is. Can only tell you that the cylinder is in an upstairs bedroom and there is a seperate small cold water cistern directly above it in the same cupboard. There is a bleeding valve on the side which I opened to let the air out and a lot of air came out. I used to do this occasionaly for my mother when she lived there when the water wasn't getting hot enough.

Hope this helps.

Can only tell you that the cylinder is in an upstairs bedroom and there is a seperate small cold water cistern directly above it in the same cupboard. There is a bleeding valve on the side which I opened to let the air out and a lot of air came out.

You dont have a 'Primatic'. Would suggest you are on site to meet the Plumber and ask him.

Many thanks Beerlover for your help. A plumber reccommended by a friend is now calling today. Makes me feel happier.
Will let you know the outcome. He is registered with Gas Safe.

I assume you have a larger cold water storagew tank in the loft?

Can younsee into the small tank above the cylinder. Is the water level reasonably high or Is it empty with ball in mid air?

There is no storage tank in the attic just the one above the cylinder which is approx. half the size of the cylinder. I will check to see the water level as you suggest when the plumber calls later. Thanks

Your problem usually happens when the burner pressure is set to high, this will cause flame lift off. meaning that the pilot flame is being lifted off the thermo couple when the main burner lights.

I dont expect that is what Bodwen meant.

It seems a simple circulation issue.

Thats the problem with plumbers tied up with agents. They use their tactics to get replacement boiler jobs which give a higher profit than repairs.

Tonight I feel annoyed with plumbers. I suspect a rat that the tenant wanted a new boiler and created a gas leak and then called not me, but another RGI who cannot do repairs but makes money from boiler replacements. He persuaded the tennant that the boiler was unsafe. All it needed was for the gas connection nut that someone had loosened to be tightened!

without seeing it is not easy to diagnose - some older boilers when the pump fails, and the system overheats, the thermocouple interrupter (overheat) trips the pilot.

i suppose with no overheat device, and a circulation problem, the boiler stat will cycle on/off quickly/quicker and hence cause of fault

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back