Boiler/heating issues

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We've had 5 new radiators fitted, and have an existing towel rail. Currenlty we're having issues with the pressure dropping in the boiler. To summarise the last 24 hours:

We had a BAXI engineer come out and service the Combi boiler. He replaced a couple of valves and confirmed that everything works as expected with the boiler.
I bled all of the radiators and towel rail (which did have a lot of air in them), and re-pressurised the boiler. Turned the boiler on and the heating worked fine, however, the pressure started dropping. I re-pressurised during the day and bled the radiators twice more.
This morning, the boiler did not start, as there was no pressure at all. I have checked every radiator and towel rail this morning and none have air, they all have water as soon as I turn the key.

Could there be a leak somewhere in the system? I am not sure, as if there was I would have expected more air in the system this morning. Not sure I can blame the boiler as it has been serviced in last 48 hours. The radiators do not have valves fitted, as the company initially gave us valves that were incorrectly sized. They are, however, working fine when I re-pressurise and turn the boiler on. The entire system worked fine until the BAXI engineer attended on Friday night, so am at a total loss at to what could be wrong.

Any advice would be very welcome.

Many thanks, Justin

Sponsored Links
You have a leak.

If you have carefully inspected under and around the boiler and all radiators perhaps it is a pipe under the floor.

Leaks do not cause air

I don't know what you mean about no valves on the radiator.

Thanks for coming back to me JohnD, much appreciated.

I mean the valve that is attached to the radiator to control how much water feeds into it. Currently, we do not have this valve and the radiator is just connected directly to the pipe feeding it.

If leaks do not cause air in the system, can I ask what does?

We did not have this pressure issue before the BAXI engineer looked at the boiler, so there may be an issue with the work carried out I am guessing?

Check the pressure relief valve isn't spewing water outside. Outside just below the boiler there should be a stub of copper pipe, if this is dripping that is your problem.

Sponsored Links
The valves on the rads I am referring to are trv valves.

The reason we got out the guy to the boiler was because in the week previous to his visit the hot water was not as warm as it previously was...the water was not staying a constant temperature but also never got to how hot it had been previously. He changed couple of parts in the boiler and there are now no issues with the hot water- but just the pressure dropping at alarming rates!

We have checked outside and there is no water out of the pipe.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back