Boiler help/advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening all.
My Ferroli Optima 701 combi boiler packed up Friday night. i went to look at it and it made a buzzing noise when it tried to fire up and the fan wasn't kicking in. So i gave it a slap thinking the fan may be sticking and blow me it fired up! But not for long....
Since then it has sometimes fired up when on timer or switched on, and then when it get's to about 90 degrees and switches off (to control water temp i guess) it won't fire back up again. Subsequently, since Fri, i'm lucky if we can get it on and if so it is off again within an hour.
I have tried numerous plumbers/boiler experts and no one is free, even British Gas aren't answering their phones. I did eventually get someone who was supposed to come today but they have let me down due to a few burst pipe call outs.
So, i have had a look myself, i know it's not advisable but we're very cold, desperate, and i am trained as an electrician.

I found the manual online
http://www.ferroli.co.uk/product_documentation/DOMESTIC_ARCHIVE/Optima_701_Manual.pdf
and follwed the diagnosis proceedure and this is what i have come up with.

When pushed manually the top part of the fan(ie the bit not in sealed chamber) turns freely, my electric testers don't have good enough probes really for me to say for certain but i think there is no power at the fan. I think the problem lies with the fan relay R4 which does buzz a bit when i turn it on but thats what they do isn't it?
It is a transparent relay and you can see it energising and de energising when turned on/off but there is what looks like a blackness at the top of it inside where it could be damaged? Although if it is energising it is still working?

So what happens when i turn the central heating/hot water on is;
Fan relay energises and buzzes
I can hear what i think is the pump kick in.
The fan doesn't kick in.

On the now very rare occasion the fan does kick in then everything fires up.

Any ideas/advice massivley appreciated, sorry it is so long but i wanted to try and give as much info as possible.

Thanks in advance. :D

Sponsored Links
Any way of getting it working in the meantime? I've tired tapping the housing for the fan, just frustrating that it works sometimes. It was set on timer to go on at 730am this morning and eventually went on about 750. Should i leave it in the on position and hope it fires up at some time or keep turning it on every 10 mins?
Ta!

Sponsored Links
landlord's plumber has said it needs a new PCB (assuming that means Printed Circuit Board) and he says he can't source one from anywhere.
We live in a house that was converted into 6 flats, each with their own boiler, Of the 6 flats, 3 have broken boilers at the moment (presuming they are all 701's!!!) Doesn't say much for its frost protection capabilities does it.

does anyone know where he might be able to find a new circuit board for it so that we don't have to shiver any longer ?

thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back