Boiler issues - Error 168

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning all,

Firstly - just to clarify I'm not doing the work myself - I have a gas safe registered person who has carried out the work so far.

I have a Promax Combo 33HE Plus boiler installed about june 2008 in a new build property which is out on rent.

On Tuesday the tenant tried to turn the heating on - but the boiler failed to fire. Hot water seemed fine. My gas safe engineer visited and concluded that the timer may be faulty and that it was not allowing the thermostat to call for heat

Wednesday morning the timer was replaced. At this point the boiler fired when heat demand and hot water was available.

Wednesday night call from the tenant that the heating turned off when hot water tap was turned on.

The engineer visited again today, and replaced the diverter valve motor. The boiler eventually fired back up once reset, but showed an error code of E168.

He called potterton for some diagnostic assistance but they said it was a generic error and one or more components could be faulty.

I called them as a customer and they basically offered me a annual maintenance service as an option or one off call out fee.

Before i end up with a annual maintenance contract - anything else that my engineer can test first (pref test over replace!)

Sponsored Links
Nearly always the pcb. Try resetting it but eventually it will need replacing.

Resetting has resolved it for now, but i cant keep asking the tenants to do this.

Looking around else where seems to show PCB too..

Question now i guess is £100 + fitting of the PCB hoping thats the end of it, or £370 and let potterton chase their tails for the year...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back