Boiler Leaking

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi and hopefully someone can help?

Attached is a picture of my boiler which was installed in 1984, so I have had good use out of it.

On Friday we woke to find the boiler was leaking and so we called the plumber, who said the heat exchange (i think) had cracked and that we would need a new boiler. He then emptied the system by attaching a hose and after about 20 mins it had nearly stopped. However he is now on holiday and can not replace the unit for a couple of weeks, the problem is that there is still a steady drip coming from the boiler which seems to be getting worse. Is there a way I can stop the water getting to the boiler. I have closed the valve to the tank in the loft and it is not filling but there is still water in it. Does this need to drained completely? Thanks and any help appreciated.
[/img]

Sponsored Links
Could be the coil in your cylinder ha as gone too. Meaning new cylinder required as well.

Turn off the supply to the large cistern in the loft and see if the water level drops over time with no water use.

Thanks, I will have a look. But is there anyway of stopping the water leak? I can not see any valves to isolate the water from going into the boiler?

Sponsored Links
Appreciate your help.

I will mark it now and re-check in the morning - it is leaking around 2 litres per hour at the moment.

where did he drain the system water from?

if he didn't drain it directly from the boiler you will probably have a fair bit of water left in it and the pipework going to it as it is 'drop fed'

the water in the boiler and the pipework going to it won't go up and over and then back down to be drained it will just lay in there, and if it's only a small leak it will take ages to stop, as essentially you're draining the boiler from that drip.

there could be a drain point on the pipework attached to the boiler which he used, but still that heat exchanger can hold a lot of water and will take a long time to stop completely

He drained it from the boiler......

The leak is still as bad as ever, I think I will bite the bullet and call another plumber.

Thanks for all your help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back