boiler loses pressure and water leak..

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi,

Boiler (about 1yo, replacement of a backboiler) lost pressure (zero) few days ago, (zero day)
I checked around the pipes of the rads and even the overflow pipe no sign of water leak.

I re-pressurised it and all ok for one day. Then next day (day-1): water leak on the kitchen's floor (concrete). I left the boiler on (no CH, just for Hot water), day-2 we mopped the kitchen
floor from time to time, then during evening the boiler's pressure went to zero again, at that
point I turned off the boiler. Now the weird thing: next days: "day-3" and "day-4"
no leak from the kitchen floor...

First thought was the water pipe (under kitchen's floor) (unfortunately is being shared with a very problematic neighbour, I did not try to isolate the main (on the road) valve)

I know the darn pipe under the kitchen's floor is lead (1930's house) but how could that
possible -its under concrete anyway- and why that happened when the boiler was filled (pressurised). my plumber is a bit busy those days, just I am scratching my head trying to understand this.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
The lead water pipe will not be part of your sealed central heating system. Are any central heating pipes in the concrete floor ,that's most likely ?

Thanks Terry, I got it... this is the explanation then.
I don't know if there are any CH pipes under the concrete -no records about past maintenance
and mind: ex-council house...
But I bet you are 100% right:
There is only one radiator in the kitchen but btw originally the kitchen was two separate rooms, then sometime a previous owner knocked down the middle wall, so they probably capped off the underfloor pipe then installed new tiles.

EDIT: - SOLVED-

water comes from kitchen ceiling, I did not even noticed as cupboards over the leaking spot, the water came from the ceiling then followed the path via the wall..

anyway, upstairs floor is squeaky -and we did not pay any attention so many years- what we found: there was a screw that came with contact with CW pipes underfloor, so that sh*t slowly managed to cause damage to the pipe... at least is
not something pipe under the concrete.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back