Boiler Pressure

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there I hope you can help. My boiler keeps loosing pressure and has been doing so for a few months. There is no sign of leakage in the pipes upstairs and no water has been seen coming through the floor or walls. The downstairs pipework is under the floor so it could be there but I’m not sure if there is a water leak. The pressure normally sits at 1bar and when I turn on the heating it can go up to 3 bars and at times even higher. When I then turn off the heating it then can go down to Zero bar. The other day I turned it on and the pressure gauge was flicking really fast , going mad! The way it loses water is inconsistent. To start with it can lost a bar of pressure in a day and I had to refill it, but other days its stable for a few days and can hold pressure then goes to zero after about a week. Sometimes I put the heating on and it holds pressure but other times its goes to zero in a few hours. Any ideas what the issue is please??? Could it be a failure of the expansion valve and resulting damage to relief valve? Does anyone have any suggestions? Many thanks!!

Sponsored Links
Your expansion vessel needs recharging, do a search there’s lot of explanations on here

sbgasman
Many thanks! It also happens when the radiators are not on , could it also happen when the hot water is being used? I just want to avoid ripping up the floor boards if I can diagnose it!! Thanks for your help!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back