C/H Pressure

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I've got a Vaillant Combi boiler-Turbomax 242E. The book states the normal pressure should be 1.5 bar but there is a safety cut off at 3 bar. I recently had to drain the system and refill (pipe and screw came together!!!) When i refilled i over filled it and the gauge read just over 2 bar. I could swear the heating was hotter and the water heater up quicker too(i had to turn both of these settings down) After a few day's i noticed there was water dribbling from the pressure relief pipe by the front door,the pressure has stabalised at 1.5 bar. My question(s) are :- Should the valve be opening before 3 bar? Is it safe and recommended to run the system at 2-2.5bar? And would this increase in pressure result in what i found? (hotter heating & water) I was going to replace the pressure relief vavle.......thanks.

Sponsored Links
the pressure should be 1 -1.5 bar when cold, as water is heated, obviously it expands, this increases the pressure.

perhaps this is why the prv was "dripping"

Hi,Thanks for the quick reply.When i refilled it the pressure was 2bar(cold) as the heating came on the pressure rose to 2.5bar(as you would expect) this stayed like this for a couple of day's,then the pressure dropped to 1.5 bar(hot,1bar cold) As i said i could swear the heating was better when the pressure was high? I though the PRV would only operate when 3bar was reached?? You wouldn't recommend replacing the PRV and running at 2bar then? Thanks

Sponsored Links
quite offen run proper boilers on the edge for better circulation, but the bake bean cans they put in domestic :?:

No chance :mad:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back