Boiler making strange noise.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

Apologies in advance for being completely thick about all this but I wondered if anyone could give me any ideas as to why the boiler has started making this noise. A google search tells me to keep an eye out for a low hum (kettling) but this high pitched noise hasn’t been described;

Video of noise:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/j0g94ylvg7gj7kg/F7CC968D-6C60-432F-BF3D-9AFD687B9A35.MP4?dl=0

It started doing this after the boiler lost all pressure following an over-bleeding of one of the radiators. I returned the pressure from zero- something I’ve never done. Another radiator in the house has a slight leak and the boiler does lose pressure gradually, but I top it up with cold water maybe once a month. It’s never been allowed to hit zero like this one time.

Anyway since that bleeding and re-pressuring, it’s made this noise on and off. It seems to start 5 mins after turning the heating on and goes for about 30 min - then the noise stops and the boiler sounds normal. Sometimes using a tap can knock the noise off too. This doesn’t occur when the boiler kicks in just to heat water for the taps, or during its intermittent ‘turn ons’ (the boiler switches on for about 2 mins once every couple hours, presumably this is a function to prevent freezing pipes or something).

Any help is much appreciated! Thinking I might have to get a professional to give it a service before the winter.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back