Boiler noise after one way valve fitted.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Recently had a loft conversion done, rads were added to my system which comprises of rads for my house and wet under floor heating for my extension. Recently noticed that when my underfloor heating came on my downstairs rad became warm. Problem was traced to the return water of the underfloor heating was going the wrong way around the rads thus warming them.

The solution was to fit a one way valve in the rads return pipe to stop the water going the wrong way. The plumber came and fitted the valve friday afternoon. I have now noticed a high pitch noise coming from my boiler when the central heating first comes on, it lasts for about 20 minutes then goes away. If the boiler is making the noiuse and I turn the underfloor heating on the noise stops.

The boiler is a Viessmann 100W, only two years old. Has anyone any ideas what this noise could be? Many thanks for any advise, i'll go back to the plumber but would just like some help before hand incase he tries to baffel me with science!

Sponsored Links
sounds like vibration in the non return valve that has just been fitted. might have been a better idea to fit a double check valve instead.

bear in mind i have seen the system so am guessing over the tinterwebb. can you get to the valve that has been fitted and put yer ear against it? if not try a long handled screwdriver. put the tip against it and yer ear against the handle, like a stethoscope. can you hear it there?

Might be better to connect the UF heating to the correct point in the system so you DO NOT have secondary circulation through the radiators. How long is a check valve/ double check valve going to last in a system that will have megnatite in it?

I see check valves a temperory fix

Sponsored Links
Where is the best place to connect the u/f heating return? At the moment its connected via a tee piece in-between the upstairs rads (tee again) and the downstairs rads.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back