Boiler only fires up when plenum chamber cover is removed

I had this issue with my Baxi boiler also, a persistent clicking from the boiler while it tried to ignite, pilot flame visible throughout and the burner simply taking ages to light.

I found removing the front panel casing also allowed the boiler start fully without any trouble.

I'm with British Gas, who when visiting for an annual service, remarked that the feed pipe to the Baxi boiler was so tiny that during the winter (when this problem seemed it's worst) became blocked periodically with 'crystals' or debris forming overnight, therefore starving the main burner of gas until a few minutes when suffcient accumulation had occurred around the pilot to successfully light(?).

No one increased any pressure and now during the summer the boiler lights instantly (while the summer temperatures are here it seems!).

So do this needle like gas feed pipes to the main burner become blocked like this?

Does the colder winter air mean boilers take longer to ignite as a consequence,?

Does the colder and perhaps therefore denser air create problems for such apparently 'finely tuned' ignition systems?

Obviously the boiler should function without taking the cover off, therefore (requesting a qualified engineer to do it, of course!) would a simple increae in gas pressure to the ignition feed pipe solve the problem?

Any suggestions or similar experiences with the Baxi boilers would be interesting too?

Thanks - Anthony.

Sponsored Links
...thought I was going to get some useful advice, must be on the wrong site then :(

Well, either that or you feel you had to say something just because you can (which is frequently the case with these forums), or I'm assuming can contribute anything constructive...

...yea, think it must be the latter.

Cheers :p

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back