Boiler overflow pipe problems, please help!!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I hope someone can help. It’s a long explanation but please bear with me.

We have recently moved and live on the 1st floor of a mainsonette and have shared access to the loft with our neighbours who live below us. Two weeks ago, we woke up to the sound of hot water gushing through the kitchen ceiling from the loft. My boyfriend rushed into the loft and saw an overflow pipe spurting out hot water into a small tank, which, unfortunately, had been covered by the previous owners. This meant the water flowed all over the floor and leak through the kitchen ceiling. We have claimed through our Buildings insurance and are in the process of getting the ceiling repaired.

My dilemma is this: when the pipe started to spurt out hot water, our combi boiler and heating was not on. I ran down stairs to our neighbours who was having a shower at the time and ask her to switch off her shower, which did eventually stop the overflow pipe. A week before, we had our boiler serviced with British Gas and given the all clear. We had initially thought the problem was caused by our neighbour’s boiler but she has had a plumber round and have been told that the overflow cannot be from her combi boiler, as these types of boilers don’t have overflow pipes that are located in the loft. I therefore don’t know where this pipe comes from and whether the problem lies with our boiler or hers. The overflow pipe still sporadically spurts out hot water and I am desperate to resolve the problem. Your help would be so much appreciated as this is most distressing.

Sponsored Links
If both of your property's have a combi, then the heating circuit should be sealed in both properties :rolleyes: The hot water should be only flowing when a tap is opened or when a shower is operated. If the combi's have been put on an old systems pipework, I suspect that some one hasn't blanked off an overflow pipe that may be connected to a hot water flow pipe :eek: I suggest you get a competent RGI round to trace the pipework in the loft. If the last owner hid or blocked the pipe I think my red light would come on and think that he/she :eek: knew of the problem and tried to hide it :evil:

Get someone there sooner rather than later.....

Could still be neighbours boiler, try and trace the pipes from tank & and follow there route. Turn off supply to small tank if possible and bail out enough water to leave small amount in the bottom of tank, make sure the vent pipe is into the tank and fit a good tight lid/seal. Eventually whoevers boiler is causing the problem will stop working! then they'll have to sort out the pumping over/surge from vent.

As the other guys have said trace the pipe.
First thing to do is find where it goes in to the loft from your flat, it may be boxed in or it may be a service duct.
This isn't rocket science and you will save yourself some money if you can save the plumbers time by tracing it first.
Then get a plumber in when you know where it goes and they should be able to sort out the problem !

Why not get the neighbour to turn their shower on with your boyfriend in the loft and see if its definitely related ?

hope this helps when its resolved let us know what it was !

Sponsored Links
Thanks for all the advice. Had our plumber round who we trust and he has traced the pipe down to our neighbours. Godknows was right, their combi boiler has been put through the old pipeworks but we still don't know whats feeding the hot water. Since my neighbours rent their flat, the mgt company has arrange for another plumber to come out to investigate further. We think their faulty boiler is the main cause.

Will update you further.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back