Boiler pressure dropped today (after i charged it)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I recharged the EV on saturday on my valant boiler. It's 15 yrs old now.

I drained down the boiler and recharged to 1bar. It was at 0.55bar.

I thought the recent pressure drops would be sorted, but the pressure has dropped off today.

I can't find any leak on the syatem. The blow off pipe looks dry, but i need to get a ladder out to see if there is any moisture coming out really.

Do you think this is a PRV issue or EV ?

Sponsored Links
What does pressure rise to when central heating has been on for an hour ?
If no water is coming out the PRV pipe then there is either a leak on the system or via the boiler itself ( heat exchanger)

The pressure is not going crazy as I know it can do on combi’s.

It was running at 2.1 bar when I last checked and resting pressure is 1.7 bar

I checked in the boiler and can’t see any water leaks

Sponsored Links
No I didn’t I think I closed off the drain point and then pumped up.

I tested the pressure in the EV last night and it was at 1.75 bar. This is the pressure of the boiler I think. I didn’t see any water coming out of the valve.

Is it common for the EV to go aged 15 yrs?

I could change it myself if needed I suppose
I checked all rads last night and can’t find any water. No patches in any plasterwork.

I have UFH in the kitchen so I need to shut this off to see if that stops the pressure from the system lowering. Then we know this is the prob but I doubt it. It’s been going since 2009

Not my area.

Our boiler had a heat exchanger crack which caused pressure drop without any sign off leaks. Was topping up every 24h

Ok Ianmcd, i didnt realise you needed to do that. I fully drained the boiler down though.

I will see how she gets on. Today she is still holding her pressure

Ok well my system is very clean. On last service the engineer said the burner was very clean. Not much scrapping needed and got my magnaclean 2 on there

Ok Ianmcd, i didnt realise you needed to do that. I fully drained the boiler down though.

I will see how she gets on. Today she is still holding her pressure
There are many so called engineers that think you can do it the way you did, you can not , you have to do it right

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back