Boiler pressure

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

I am new to the forum so first post of many I imagine as I have just moved into my first home.

The boiler for the house is 8 years old now and I am not sure if it is working correctly. The operating pressure when the central heating is on seems to creep up to around to 2.5 bar and then drops down to 2 bar and repeats.

I notice there was a drip coming from the bottom which I think this was coming from the expansion vessel. The temperature on the rads was quite high though at like 70C so the pressure managed to to creep up to 3+bar. I have turned the rads down to 60C and the leaks seems to have stopped completely.

I have been trying to get an engineer out to look at the boiler and give me a quote to fix it but it just seems so difficult to find a trustworthy one. The one that came the other day said it needed a diverter valve, heat exchanger, expansion vessel and the flue could be leaking. I could tell he was just trying to rip me off as the rad flow pipe does not get hot when only hot water is on and only the shower gets hot and cold so I think it is just the mixer needs changing.

trying to get more engineers to come but seems like a headache getting them here and getting an actual quote.

Whats the best place to find a reasonable yet trustworthy plumber?I have been looking at checkatrade. I live in Medway,kent and don't have many friends who own a place or any family in the area so personal referrals are hard to come by.

Also any idea's as to what the problem could be? I have had it running this morning with the rad temp at 60C and it seems to be running with no leaks but pressure at the range 2-2.5 bar.

Boiler is a 28k Baxi Platinum HE combi

Sponsored Links
Hello all,

I am new to the forum so first post of many I imagine as I have just moved into my first home.

The boiler for the house is 8 years old now and I am not sure if it is working correctly. The operating pressure when the central heating is on seems to creep up to around to 2.5 bar and then drops down to 2 bar and repeats.

I notice there was a drip coming from the bottom which I think this was coming from the expansion vessel. The temperature on the rads was quite high though at like 70C so the pressure managed to to creep up to 3+bar. I have turned the rads down to 60C and the leaks seems to have stopped completely.

I have been trying to get an engineer out to look at the boiler and give me a quote to fix it but it just seems so difficult to find a trustworthy one. The one that came the other day said it needed a diverter valve, heat exchanger, expansion vessel and the flue could be leaking. I could tell he was just trying to rip me off as the rad flow pipe does not get hot when only hot water is on and only the shower gets hot and cold so I think it is just the mixer needs changing.

trying to get more engineers to come but seems like a headache getting them here and getting an actual quote.

Whats the best place to find a reasonable yet trustworthy plumber?I have been looking at checkatrade. I live in Medway,kent and don't have many friends who own a place or any family in the area so personal referrals are hard to come by.

Also any idea's as to what the problem could be? I have had it running this morning with the rad temp at 60C and it seems to be running with no leaks but pressure at the range 2-2.5 bar.

Boiler is a 28k Baxi Platinum HE combi
The system pressure when the system is cold should only be around 1 bar and lift to no more than 2.5 when operating. You should remove a little out of the heating system and see how it fairs. You can let a little out of a drain off or even out of a rad vent if you catch it into a bucket until pressure drops to 1 bar when boiler off and all rads cold.

As above, let a bit out and keep.an eye on it. If your showers going hot and cold it could just be the head needs cleaning. Try this first rather than changing parts in the boiler.

Hello all,

Thanks

You want several engineers to spend over an hour coming to you to give you a free diagnosis.

Why do you think that they should do that when only one just possibly MIGHT get the job although you seem to really want to fix it yourself?

I charge £84 in my local area for diagnosing boiler faults!

But I would never waste my time giving free diagnosis so that people can fix their boilers themselves! Why do you think that anyone would?

Tony

Sponsored Links
Hello all,

Thanks

You want several engineers to spend over an hour coming to you to give you a free diagnosis.

Why do you think that they should do that when only one just possibly MIGHT get the job although you seem to really want to fix it yourself?

I charge £84 in my local area for diagnosing boiler faults!

But I would never waste my time giving free diagnosis so that people can fix their boilers themselves! Why do you think that anyone would?

Tony

Doing it myself is a last resort as haven't found anyone trustworthy to do the work. The diagnoses was my own thanks to some research following what the qualified plumber told me.

I am not going to pay someone £84 to throw parts at me. good luck with that

thanks for the useful replies, I am going to order the shower mixer and change it.

I checked the pressure and made sure it is at 1 bar. still sits at around the 2.5 - 2 bar point when it is on. Unsure if this is normal at least it is no longer leaking :) For the pressure to be high like would it indicate expansion vessel needs pressurising

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back