Boiler problem, please help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dear Forum members,

I have problem with my Vaillant (Turbomax plus 824E) boiler, whenever I turn on the central heating, Boiler warms up the radiators okay, but after say half an hour or so If i see on boiler the burner will still be running and umber light is on. If I continously keep an eye on boiler the burner will keep running all the time and umber light is on for hours as long as my heating is on.

I feel like my boiler should switch off (stop the burner, stop consuming gas) once it reaches to certain temperature, wait for the radiator/boiler temperature to go down and then burner should kick in automatically instead on all the time.

Please help and guide me in right directions.

Regards

Sponsored Links
So it doesn't respond to the boiler thermostat setting? i.e. if you turn it down low it makes no difference?

If so, expect a thermistor or PCB potentiometer problem.

Hi,

Thank you for your response,
There are no thermostate dial on the radiators,
There is on/off upto 30 numbers dial on stairs,
There are readiator and hot water dial on boiler itself,

Sorry which one are you referring to? I am beginners, sorry about my understanding.

Today the boiler is running since last 3 hours while the middle light (umber light on boiler) is continuously onn. dial on stairs is on 25, dial on boiler is nearly to end, on boiler screen its showing 72 degree.

Could you please help me further.

Regards

Bottom rotary dial on the left hand side of boiler. Turn it to minimum & check if the burner goes down / off.

Sponsored Links
If you switch all the radiators off but one it will switch off pretty quick. :)
Chances are the boiler has simply modulated down to meet demand.
The level of demand is keeping the boiler going.
My boiler runs continuously as it modulates down to the demand of the house.

Is it not just a case of the house isnt getting to the 25° thats on the room thermostat, therefore the boilers running constantly?

Do you need 25 degrees C? Turn your thermostat down - the one 'on the stairs'. :idea:

Simples!

@ Heatserve: I have tried turning the dial on boiler to minimum, but still boiler burner keeps running.
There are two ways,
1. say for example i turn it to quarter then turn on the heating, boiler burner is still running after evern 2 hours of continously running.
2. I turn the dial on boiler to half and turn on the heating from stair dial, ofter one hour, If I turn the dial on boiler to quarter then burner switches of untill the temperatures drops on rads and then will start keeps running the burner.

@dcawkwell: I have not tried turning off all the rads and just running one, One more information, I dont have thermostat dial on rads.
What do you mean by modulated down to meet demand? How can I reset the boiler. I want ones the required temp is reached the burner should stop and consume the internel heat the boiler has stored in and save me some on gas.

@uparoundthebend: I dont think, say when the stairs dial on 25 degree, boiler dial on three quarters, the rads are pretty hot that you can not hold them for 3 seconds. house is pretty warm, even then boiler burner is running running and consuming gas like a hungry monster. Burdon on my pocket. please guys save me.

@whitespirit66: I dont need 25 degree at home but only when its pretty cold, but the trouble is boiler I beleive who knows house is pretty warm even then keeps on drinking gas gas gas gas.

Please help me

I was a bit concerned that you might have a big problem until I read this bit

If I turn the dial on boiler to quarter then burner switches off until the temperatures drops on rads

So now I'm reassured that you don't have a gas valve sticking on which would have been potentially dangerous I can now see that it's simply a case of your boiler is simply doing its job, basically heating your house in return for burning rather expensive gas.

To minimise the amount of money you spend on this gas you need to run all thermostats as low as possible and make sure your heating is not switched on when it doesn't need to be while still maintaining a reasonable room temperature.
The stat on your boiler controls the temperature of the water in the radiators and should ideally be 70ºC or lower. [1/2 way to 3/4 is a common range of use where there are no temp marks around the dial]
The room stat controls the air temp of the room that the stat is fitted and should be set between 16ºC and 21ºC or lower.
Finding a suitable balance between how warm your house is and how much you spend on gas is a matter of trial and error with these thermostat settings.
Investing in insulation will also be beneficial in reducing your running costs.
Looking for a cheaper energy supplier or tariff may save you some money too.

Hi
I have just received 147 pounds gas bill from british gas just for 40 days.

My boiler is still running and consuming gas, please help me to sort out this.

Read what Slugbabydotcom wrote, the answers are there...

Turn the dial on the stairs down to 18 - 21 (also, turn it all the way down - does it click and make the boiler go off? Turn it up again, does it click again and the boiler come back on?)

Turn the boiler thermostat down to around ¾ of its full setting

Check your house's insulation levels

Invest in thermostats for the radiators, they'll save you some money in the long run

As I already mentioned, gas isn't cheap!
A lot of properties, just mid-terraced street houses that I have been to lately have commented that they spend £5 a day on gas. Over 40 days that would be £200.
Seeing as your bill is less than ¾ of this I'd like to congratulate you on your money saving efforts and reducing your carbon footprint.
You can find some more money saving tips HERE

I thought that on your model the orange is just a demand for heat indication and the green on the left is the burner on light?

A typical three bed semi costs about £1400 for fuel now!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back